Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Newcastle Herald
Newcastle Herald
National
Michael Parris

Repacholi poised to fill Joel's boots

Daniel Repacholi

Olympic pistol shooter Daniel Repacholi is unofficially Labor's candidate for Hunter, despite tasteless remarks he made on Facebook 10 years ago.

Labor's national executive opened nominations for preselection in Joel Fitzgibbon's seat on Friday after the Hunter MP announced this week that he would not contest the next election.

An email to members from NSW Labor headquarters on Friday said state party officers had referred preselections for Hunter and the western Sydney seat of Fowler to the national executive after a "request from the federal Labor leader for an expedited preselection process".

The agreement to bypass a rank-and-file vote signals the party's left and right factions have agreed that Mr Repacholi will be endorsed, as will former NSW premier Kristina Keneally in Fowler.

The national executive will meet on Friday next week to rubber-stamp the selections.

Opposition leader Anthony Albanese backed Mr Repacholi this week to replace Mr Fitzgibbon and ruled out a rank-and-file ballot, a move which angered Hunter branch members and other prospective candidates.

Party sources said Mr Albanese's backing appeared to be part of a complex factional deal involving Ms Keneally and the elevation of new NSW Labor Party president Michelle Rowland.

Two potential Hunter candidates, Cessnock nurse Emily Suvaal and Lake Macquarie councillor David Belcher, said they were "deeply" and "incredibly" disappointed that head office had bypassed members.

Cessnock branch president Morgan Campbell said "dozens of branch members have urged me to run and I don't want to let them down" but stopped short of saying he would still nominate.

Sources said Mr Repacholi had been a party member since August. The former mine worker has the backing of Mr Fitzgibbon and the CFMEU mining union.

Party sources said on Friday that his Facebook posts were "unhelpful" but would not affect his preselection.

One comment, posted after the 2010 Commonwealth Games, said: "Just got home from delhi thank god we live in Australia india was a shit hole where I was."

Another said: "Size dosent matter when you have 130 kg pushing it." He also posted a link to a blog titled: "The best amateur t--s ever."

Mr Repacholi apologised publicly on Friday over the "stupid and offensive" India comment.

"It was wrong and I apologise unreservedly," he said.

The Newcastle Herald contacted Mr Repacholi for comment.

Mr Fitzgibbon said this week that Mr Repacholi would make a strong candidate.

"He's a person of a very high profile, a local, well known, worked in the coalmining industry, now runs a big mining services operation and, of course, a five-time Olympian," he said.

"He's a member of the Cessnock city hall of fame.

"I know Daniel. He's intelligent and very sympathetic to Labor's ideals."

Mr Albanese echoed Mr Fitzgibbon's words on Sky, describing Mr Repacholi as a "very strong candidate".

Mr Fitzgibbon, a former senior cabinet minister and heavyweight in Labor's Right faction, and his father, Eric, have represented the electorate of Hunter since 1984.

In the news

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.