Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Tribune News Service
Tribune News Service
Politics
Jamie Lovegrove

Rep. Joaquin Castro considers 2018 Senate run to challenge Ted Cruz

WASHINGTON _ Rep. Joaquin Castro said Tuesday that he is considering running for the Senate against Sen. Ted Cruz in 2018.

Castro, a Texas Democrat, was on "CBS This Morning" with his brother, Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Julian Castro, when host Charlie Rose asked if either planned to challenge Cruz.

At first, Julian Castro denied any collective interest. Although Cruz's "standing has fallen fairly far," he said, as of now, "that's not in our plans to run in Texas." But then Joaquin Castro interjected.

"He's speaking for himself," Joaquin Castro said. "I'm going to take a look at it in 2018, I'll take a look at that and other opportunities. I've never been somebody that said, 'In two years I've absolutely got to run for Senate or governor,' but I will take a look at it."

Joaquin Castro has not outright dismissed the possibility of a Senate run before, but his comments Tuesday were his clearest indication yet that he is actively exploring the option.

The Castro brothers have long been considered the brightest prospects for Texas Democrats to win back statewide office for the first time since 1994. That challenge remains a steep uphill climb, as demonstrated by Republicans' comprehensive victories in 2014, including a 20-point win for Greg Abbott over Wendy Davis in the gubernatorial race.

A spokesperson for Cruz did not respond to requests for comment. But shortly after Joaquin Castro made the comments, Cruz used the news in a fundraising appeal for his own Senate campaign.

"Despite any record of achievement and a liberal ideology out of touch with the majority of Texans, the Castro brothers have the full support of the mainstream media and Washington establishment willing to do everything in their power to turn Texas blue," Cruz wrote in an email to supporters. "Our opponents are already making plans to defeat us, so we cannot afford to wait to engage until 2018."

Julian Castro also dismissed another potential future job he had been suggested for in recent days: chairman of the Democratic National Committee.

"I have no interest in that," Julian Castro said. But this time he left room for his brother to give his own response. "Since I didn't speak well for him the first time, he might want to speak for himself the second time," he said.

"Yeah, you never say never," Joaquin Castro responded. "But it hasn't been on my radar."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.