Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Tribune News Service
Tribune News Service
National
Charles T. Clark

Rep. Duncan Hunter officially vacates office representing 50th Congressional District

SAN DIEGO _ Rep. Duncan Hunter, the lone Republican in San Diego's congressional delegation, officially left office Monday after he pleaded guilty to a felony involving illegal campaign spending early last month.

The Alpine Republican, who followed his father into politics, had represented the 50th Congressional District _ which includes large parts of East County, inland North County and a portion of south Riverside County _ since January 2009.

The seat will remain vacant until a new Congress is sworn in in January 2021. Gov. Gavin Newsom announced last week that he will not call a special election because of the timing of Hunter's resignation.

Hunter's offices will remain open under the administration of the nonpartisan clerk of the House. All staff, in Washington and locally, will work on constituent services and not on policy or political issues, said Hunter spokesman Michael Harrison.

Their salaries will continue to come from the annual House budget.

"It has been an honor to serve the people of California's 50th District, and I greatly appreciate the trust they have put in me over these last 11 years," Hunter said in a resignation letter he delivered to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., and Newsom last week.

Hunter's letter made no mention of the reason for his resignation, instead offering a list of his accomplishments during his six terms in Congress and in his military service as a Marine.

Hunter, 43, was indicted in August 2018 on 60 federal counts based on accusations he and his wife and former campaign manager, Margaret Hunter, stole $250,000 of campaign funds, using it for family vacations, groceries, his extramarital affairs and other noncampaign uses, including airfare for a pet rabbit.

He ultimately reached a deal and pleaded guilty Dec. 3 to a single count of conspiracy to convert campaign funds to personal use, a felony for which he could be sentenced up to five years in prison. He is scheduled to be sentenced March 17.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.