Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Newcastle Herald
Newcastle Herald
National
Sage Swinton

Rep basketball stoush 'shatters' 11-year-old player

UPSET: Emerson Wallace and dad Cale Wallace outside Newcastle Basketball Stadium. Picture: Simone De Peak

A local father whose daughter was excluded from trying out for her representative basketball team then re-allowed the next day says she has been left devastated by the situation.

Cale Wallace's wife received an email about their daughter Emerson, 11, on Thursday saying "Newcastle Basketball will not be accepting the nomination of Emerson Wallace for our 2022 representative program."

The association has since changed their decision after an "extensive review".

It comes after Mr and Mrs Wallace were officially warned following comments Mr Wallace made about his son's coach and the association. Mr Wallace said his son's court time had been reduced, and he complained about a lack of communication to his son about it, saying: "I am sick and tired of the rhetoric fed to us that it is a good program when clearly it is not".

In this era of inclusivity when we're trying to promote women's sport, they've told an 11-year-old girl that she can't play with her friends.

Cale Wallace

Mrs Wallace was also told the association had received information from several sources that she made comments that were detrimental and/or damaging to the association. She denies this and asked for more information about the claims to respond, but did not receive anything.

Mrs Wallace's sister Mikaela Dombkins was then kicked off the Newcastle women's side less than two weeks after the warning. Ms Dombkins said she wasn't given a reason why.

Mr Wallace apologised for what he said, but then came the email about Emerson. He said he was outraged she had been dragged into it, leaving her distraught and needing counselling.

"In this era of inclusivity when we're trying to promote women's sport, they've told an 11-year-old girl that she can't play with her friends," he said. "Emerson has absolutely nothing to do with this. She was devastated."

In a statement, Newcastle Basketball manager Neil Goffet said: "As a community sporting organisation we must protect and look after the interests and welfare of all children, volunteers and officials whether that be in our junior competitions or at representative level.

"We adhere to the strict By-Laws and behavioural policies outlined by our governing body, Basketball NSW and those that protect all members playing under the Newcastle Basketball banner.

"Parents must also adhere to these behavioural policies and any breaches are taken very seriously by both the board and management of our organisation."

Mr Wallace sought a lawyer about the decision and asked for reasons why Emerson was excluded. The lawyer said if they received no reply they would seek an injunction to stop the trials until the matter was dealt with.

The association then changed its decision and has allowed her to tryout, but Emerson said she felt uncomfortable to go and "really upset" at what happened.

"The damage is already done," Mr Wallace said.

The parents have also been warned if they breach any behavioural policies Emerson will be removed from the rep program.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.