A popular Erskine farm has been “overwhelmed by community support” after almost £8,000 was raised within just days to help repair fire damage caused by vandals.
Mindless louts trespassed on Lamont Farm in the early hours of Friday morning and set a deliberate fire in an outbuilding causing thousand of pounds worth of damage.
The Barhill Road site was forced to close following the blaze, sparking fears from the farm – which is a registered charity – about when they would be able to reopen.
But the team at the farm were “determined” to have business resume as normal and reopened to the public on Tuesday.
Farm manager Yvonne Elliot said the attack was “devastating” and took to social media to share an online fundraiser to raise funds for the farm which relies on public donations to stay open.
In just a matter of hours, the fundraiser surpassed its £2,500 target which amazed Yvonne and the team of volunteers.
She told the Express: “The community support has been totally overwhelming.
“The fundraiser is almost at £8,000 which is incredible.
“We would like to say a massive thank you to everyone that’s shown their support to the farm over the past few days, we really can’t believe how many people are willing to help this wee charity after the fire.
“We are eternally grateful to all of the local community – and further afield, that have come together to try and help us recover from such a horrible incident.
“Just two hours after the page being active, it had reached its £2,500 target and in this current climate where people don’t have a lot to give, it really is heart-warming to know there’s people helping us.
“Every penny, every pound counts.”
Lamont Farm is purely volunteer-run and plays home to over 50 rescue animals of all shapes and sizes.
The building set alight by the thugs was just feet away from the farm’s front stables housing four horses.
Thankfully, no animals were injured in the blaze.
Yvonne explained that horses sounding in distress is what alerted her to the fire.
She said: “The cabin was used by our volunteers as a lunch area and at night we keep a window open for the cats.
“Sadly, it looks like whoever done it, poured petrol in the window and then set it on fire.
“Fortunately I was staying here and was able to call the fire brigade.
“A neighbour also spotted the fire and dialled 999 too.
“As I was letting the horses loose into the field the fire engine turned up. The team got here so fast.
“If they hadn’t have got here as quickly I think it would have been totally devastating for us.
“We would all like to say a very personal thanks to the Amber Watch from Clydebank fire station who attended as they undoubtedly saved the fire from being so much worse.”
Police are continuing their enquiries into the incident and anyone with any information is being asked to come
Detective Constable Robert Urquhart, Paisley CID, said: “Any information can be passed to officers at Paisley via 101. Please quote reference number 0401 of Friday, 31 March 2023 when
“Alternatively, details can be given anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.”
You can donate to the fundraiser here.
Don't miss the latest Renfrewshire headlines – sign up to our free daily newsletter here