Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Evening Standard
Evening Standard
Politics
Stanley Murphy-Johns

Reform may face legal action from removed Kent councillors

Reform UK leader Nigel Farage with members of Kent County Council (PA) - (PA Wire)

A former Reform councillor has announced he is considering legal action against the party for defamation of his character following his removal.

Reform UK won 57 of the 81 seats at Kent County Council (KCC) to take control of the authority in May, overturning a 30-year Conservative majority.

There are now 48 Reform councillors, with nine members having been either suspended or removed since then.

Conservative group leader Harry Rayner said KCC had been made a “laughing stock” by the current administration.

Last month, councillor Robert Ford was removed from Reform UK following unofficial complaints from female members of staff.

On Thursday, he said: “I’m currently taking legal advice regarding the defamation of my character by Reform UK at KCC that occurred on October 13 and I intend in the coming months to pursue this with vigour.”

Mr Ford claims the complaints relate to an “erotic novel” he had published, which he had mentioned to people at KCC.

No further information on the nature of the complaints has been forthcoming from Reform UK.

Most recently, councillor Isabella Kemp, who represents Sheppey on KCC, was suspended from the party ahead of a council meeting on Thursday.

Head of Kent County Council Linden Kemkaran said on Thursday Reform is ‘stronger and we are totally battle fit’ (PA) (PA Wire)

Ms Kemp is the latest in a string of suspensions since a video showing KCC leader Linden Kemkaran shouting and swearing at members was leaked to The Guardian.

It has been reported by the BBC that Ms Kemp is also considering legal action against Reform UK.

Councillors Bill Barrett, Paul Thomas, Brian Black and Oliver Bradshaw have since been removed – while Maxine Fothergill remains suspended by Reform HQ, which linked all five to the video leak.

They were said to have “undermined the interests of the party” and have been called “dishonest” by the leadership.

Mr Black, Mr Bradshaw and Mr Thomas have reportedly declared their “continued support” for the party at both national and local level.

Mr Barrett and Mr Ford have taken a different line, criticising Reform UK and creating an Independent Reformers Group at KCC.

In a speech in the council chamber on Thursday, Ms Kemkaran drew parallels between her party and her son’s army training.

“Some had quit because they couldn’t hack it, others have been thrown out for bad behaviour, because they weren’t good enough or they weren’t team players – not up to the challenge or were simply unable or unwilling to accept discipline,” she said.

“Believe me, we are much stronger and we are totally battle fit.”

Leader of the opposition, Liberal Democrat Antony Hook, implied the Reform administration had made KCC a “punchline” on Have I Got News For You.

“I’m told that people are literally placing bets on whether the administration will last until Christmas or Easter,” he said.

Councillors went on to debate local government reorganisation in the chamber on Thursday, which was also the topic in the leaked video meeting.

In that video, Ms Kemkaran told members to “f****** suck it up” if they disagreed with her on big decisions like the direction of local government reorganisation.

All of the remaining Reform councillors who spoke during the debate on Thursday voiced support for Ms Kemkaran’s plan.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.