Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Chronicle Live
Chronicle Live
Entertainment
Tim Hanlon & Simon Meechan

Red list and hotel quarantine could be scrapped within a week

The travel red list and hotel quarantine for people arriving into the UK from seven countries are set to be scrapped, it is reported.

The Telegraph claims ministers will meet today to discuss taking the remaining countries off the red list.

It would mean people entering the UK after having been in Colombia, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Haiti, Panama, Peru and Venezuela no longer have to quarantine in a hotel for 10 days after arrival.

Read more: New Covid travel rules: How they work and how to get the tests

It is likely unvaccinated arrivals will have to self-isolate at home and take two post arrival PCR tests, as is the case now for all countries not on the red list.

A Whitehall source said: "The Department of Health is minded to remove all the remaining countries from the red list given the public health advice.

"But the hotel quarantine policy will remain in place as a safety net, in case the situation changes. Countries could go on if there is a concern at some point in the future."

The new plan will come into effect from Monday December 1, says the Telegraph.

The paper also says there are plans to scrap the hotel quarantine system all together next year.

The red list was slashed from 47 countries to just seven earlier this month.

For the latest local news in your area direct to your inbox every day, go here to sign up to our free newsletter

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.