Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Canberra Times
The Canberra Times
Melanie Dinjaski

Reasons for mysterious ref no-shows revealed amid pivotal Hellenic Club meeting

The mysterious absence of referees last weekend amid a tough stand against abuse towards officials has been explained.

Multiple Canberra soccer teams were left blindsided on Saturday when several National Premier League boys matches did not have referees turn up to the fields, and games had to be postponed. Matches impacted involved the under 14, 15, 16, and 18 NPL boys divisions.

Refs are meeting with Capital Football on Wednesday night. Pictures by Marina Neil, Karleen Minney

It comes as the referee community is set for a meeting directly with the Capital Football board on Wednesday night at the Hellenic Club to discuss issues faced in their roles.

Capital Football explained that it was a perfect storm that led to matches needing to be postponed last weekend, and acknowledged better communication with clubs would have helped.

"Maintaining referee numbers for a season is always challenging due to availability, experience levels, injuries and illness," a spokesperson told The Canberra Times.

"Our recent five-point plan to address referee abuse included the implementation of a buddy system for younger referees.

"A combination of sickness and the introduction of this system caused the reduction of referee support to NPLB matches last weekend.

"While clubs are alerted in [online fixture site] Dribl as to referee availability, we acknowledge advising clubs concerning the introduction of this system may have offset this issue.

"Where possible, for remaining matches we will look to work with clubs to mitigate any forecast gaps."

Capital Football launched its detailed five-point plan last week to address referee problems, including abuse.

The NPL first grade men's action last weekend highlighted some of the concerns about abuse towards officials and players, with incidents of projectiles being thrown at players, and referees being targeted with verbal abuse by spectators.

One of the most humble and quiet athletes in Canberra has called time on an international career spanning 17 years and four Olympic Games campaigns.

Mountain biking champion Rebecca Henderson has announced the end of her career, declaring "it just feels like the right time", after competing in the sport since she was a teenager.

She walks away from the sport as a 13-time national champion and three-time World Cup winner, but she has always preferred to quietly go about her business rather than have her name up in lights.

"It's time to say goodbye to the MTB World Cup. At the end of this season I'll be stepping away from this beautiful sport," Henderson said.

"It's impossible to put 17 years of World Cup racing into words. For now I just look forward to giving my best at these last races and enjoying every moment surrounded by the incredible MTB community.

"Shooting for some new goals and opportunities around the corner but 100 per cent here and present in this moment."

Henderson will race in the rest of the World Cup events and the world championship this year.

But it's not completely the end. Henderson has already flagged the prospect of transitioning from mountain biking to road cycling and potentially the Tour de France Femmes.

"The prospect of racing on the road has always been something I've really wanted to try. It's a challenge that really appeals to me," Henderson told the Brujulabike website.

"To do some of these big races on TV would be a dream."

If she's remembered for anything on the mountain bike scene it should be for her toughness. Just last year she crashed on the first lap of national championship race at Mt Buller. She got back on her bike despite fracturing her shoulder and injuring her thumb and went on to win.

The Canberra Capitals have landed a big recruit to bolster their roster for the WNBL season, signing Megan McConnell as their US import.

McConnell is set for her second season in Australia after averaging 11 points and six rebounds in her debut campaign for Bendigo.

But in what is a swap with former Capitals captain Jade Melbourne - who is going to Bendigo - McConnell has left the Spirit to sign with Canberra.

"Meg brings toughness, energy and effort to our backcourt. We really liked her full-court defensive pressure, ability to defend at a high level, and she's an excellent rebounder for a guard," said Capitals coach Paul Goriss.

"Offensively, her speed and aggressiveness in transition will suit how we want to play. Meg's WNBL experience last season will allow her to come in with confidence, and her selfless, team-first approach will fit in well with our group."

McConnell made her WNBA debut for the Phoenix Mercury last year. She signed a training camp deal with the Indiana Fever this year, opening the door for her to join the Caitlin Clark phenomenon, but was waived before playing a game.

The Murrumbidgee Country Club is set for one of the biggest renovations in history as they start the process replacing the ageing irrigation system.

Course director David Panell said it would "secure the long-term health and playability" of the golf course in Canberra's south. The current irrigation system is 34 years old and well beyond its useful life, but the ACT government has come to the party with a $1.1 million grant to help greenlight the improvements.

The club will host a PGA Legends Tour Pro-Am in October, with 112 players to converge on the course to chase victory. The event coincides with a busy week for golf in Canberra - Fairbairn Golf Club will host the ACT PGA Seniors Championship on October 22-23.

Three-time winner Andre Stolz will lead the field and 15 of the top 20 on the 2026 Legends Order of Merit will also play.

Fairbairn is still fighting to save the club's future amid a land divestment proposal by the Department of Defence. There are almost 4000 signatures on a petition to ensure the club remains.

Canberra Raiders chief executive Don Furner didn't mince words when summing up the significance of this Friday night's clash with the Brisbane Broncos.

Even before the game became Josh Papali'i's last at Bruce ahead of his retirement, it was something more. As Furner called it on Monday at a press conference, this is a "revenge game" against Brisbane.

It's a highly-anticipated rematch after the Broncos stole an unbelievable win last season in a 94-minute golden point thriller in the first week of the finals.

A Ben Hunt field goal sealed it moments after Jamal Fogarty thought he'd scored a game-winning try, and there was some controversy with Hudson Young head-butted by Reece Walsh and both players sent to the sin bin.

Despite this, for some reason the NRL powers-that-be never thought this match was worthy of primetime treatment.

Think about it. If you're an NRL executive putting together the fixture for this season, here's the minor premiers and the premiership winners.

But not only are they pushed to a Friday 6pm timeslot broadcast on subscription TV, fans eager for the rematch have had to wait until round 25 to see it, with this the teams' first meeting since last season.

Of course, the tin-foil hat-wearers in rugby league online comment threads might be suspicious that the fixture decision probably proved to be about right given neither the Broncos or Raiders are set for the finals, and Young and Walsh won't be playing, but that's beside the point.

This is a guaranteed cracker of a game no matter what, and the Raiders are predicting more than 20,000 people to walk through the gates of the aptly renamed "Papa's House" on Friday night.

The club has also thoughtfully provided certificates to fans wanting to knock off work early to soak it all in.

As Woden Valley Soccer Club hit back again at Capital Football's rejection of its girls teams being added to the National Premier League, the region's peak soccer body has announced a new Women and Girls' Working Group to tackle concerns raised by the community.

Woden Valley's confirmed omission from NPLG competitions for 2027 by Capital Football has reignited the debate around Canberra soccer about promotion and relegation.

The club has turned the heat up on the issue by frequently pushing its case via social media, as it remains frustrated by Capital Football's explanation for the decision.

"WVSC has over 550 female players and a highly successful U10 to U13 Girls Academy," the club said in a new statement.

"WVSC is also currently leading the Junior Girls Community Club Championship. There is literally nothing more our female players, coaches and administrators can do to prove our suitability for NPL in season 2027.

"This news has been devastating for WVSC, impacting approximately one hundred of our female players."

It comes as consistent community feedback for greater support for women and girls soccer in the Canberra region led to Capital Football launching a new working group, led by Cristal King as chair.

The group is designed to be an independent advisory committee reporting directly to the Capital Football board to deliver recommendations.

"I am excited to have this opportunity to work with the community, through the Women and Girls' Working Group, to understand the participation issues faced by women and girls, and provide independent community-led recommendations that could make a positive impact," King said.

A meeting with Woden Valley to address their concerns will likely be among the first duties for King.

The ACT Comets have channelled their inner Merv Hughes.

Throwing it back to the glory days of the late 1990s Mercantile Mutual Cup era when Hughes donned the blue and gold, the Comets will wear a special replica shirt this week during the NT Top End Series.

The T20 series starts in Darwin on August 21, featuring 30 matches across 10 days, with nine teams from Australia and around the world.

The Comets will be keen to showcase the world-class talent being produced in the capital, and give young members of the team exposure to strong competition.

"The Top End Series is a fantastic opportunity for our players to test themselves against quality opposition in a high-performance environment," captain Nic Broes said.

"We're looking forward to competing against some very strong teams and continuing to build the depth and experience within our program.

"Wearing the retro kit adds another special element to the tournament. It's an iconic part of our history and a great way to acknowledge the players and teams that helped build the foundations of the ACT Comets program."

ACT Comets NT Top End T20 squad: Nic Broes (C), Nick Allen, Kai Brunker, Dave Dubey, Tom Hogan, Dylan Hunter, Zac Keogh, Zac Maron, Jeet Mehta, Esam Rahman, Jake Smith, Harry Thomas, Ansh Tiwary, Tyler Van Luin

The ACT Comets throw it back to the glory day. Pictures Supplied

Canberra's Lewis Bates claimed his first win of the 2026 rally season in Tasmania to launch to the top of the championship standings.

Bates and Anthony McLoughlin hadn't won a rally event since last year's race in Canberra, so it was an important victory for the duo.

Toyota Gazoo Racing teammates Harry Bates and Coral Taylor weren't so fortunate in Tasmania, forced to retire after a crash on Saturday.

Lewis Bates and McLoughlin will be aiming to claim their second championship now, as they sit in prime position with only two rounds to go.

The next stop is Adelaide Hills on October 2.

A group of Canberra's broomball stars are heading to Canada to represent Australia at the world champs.

But the thing is, they have to pay for everything themselves.

Flights, accommodation and even uniforms are all self-funded.

So ACT Broomball is holding a trivia night at the Canberra Labor Club in Belconnen on Friday, August 28.

Tickets are just $10 and will help them get to Canada in November.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.