Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
Sport
Gareth Bicknell

Real Madrid star Marcelo makes decision on future amid transfer rumours

Marcelo has decided on his future amid rumours of a Real Madrid exit - and he's staying at the Bernabeu.

The Brazilian left-back had been strongly tipped to join Juventus this summer having fallen out of favour at Real Madrid under previous boss Santiago Solari.

But Marcelo has been reinvigorated under new Madrid manager Zinedine Zidane, who has reinstated him into Real's starting XI.

And Zizou's return has convinced 30-year-old Marcelo his future is at the Bernabeu, according to Spanish publication AS .

Back in February, In February, Cope Radio reported that Marcelo went to meet Madrid director general José Ángel Sánchez to tell him he would leave if he was not wanted.

Marcelo had been linked with a move away from Real Madrid (Juan Carlos Hidalgo/EPA-EFE/REX/Shutterstock)

Zinedine Zidane defends picking son Luca in Real Madrid's win over Huesca

According to AS, he told Esporte Interativo some days before : "If I am on the list of players (Madrid) want to sell, then they can pay me up and it’s all sorted. If the day ever comes when Real Madrid do not want me, then I’ll go."

That sparked talk of a move to Juventus, where Marcelo would be reunited with former Bernabeu team-mate Cristiano Ronaldo .

However, the return of Zidane until 2022, has given a second chance to Marcelo and the other players who had fallen out of favour under Solari - Isco, Keylor Navas and Marco Asensio.

Zinedine Zidane's return has reinvigorated players (EPA-EFE/REX)

Zinedine Zidane refuses to offer Gareth Bale assurances with latest declaration

Zidane wants to get Marcelo back to the level that has made him one of Madrid’s key players over the past decade, and that task began by returning him to the starting XI for the new manager's first game back in charge, a 2-0 win at home to Celta Vigo.

Zizou also started Isco, Navas and Asensio for that game, and said afterwards: "Nobody can erase what these players have done here, and I'm going to count on everyone, on Courtois, on Reguilón ... But Keylor, Marcelo and Isco are very good players.”

Isco celebrates after scoring Real Madrid's opener against Huesca (Gonzalo Arroyo Moreno)

Man Utd's Paul Pogba SHOULD fancy Real Madrid transfer, says Zinedine Zidane

Marcelo said after the Celta Vigo game: "It's a wonderful feeling to be able to do what I love with joy."

The left-back also started Zinedine Zidane defends picking son Luca in Real Madrid's win over Huesca on Sunday, along with Isco, who scored the opener.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.