Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
Sport
Gareth Bicknell

Real Madrid plan 'to activate' Sergio Reguilon's buy-back clause from Tottenham

Real Madrid manager Carlo Ancelotti is reportedly ready to raid Tottenham by triggering Sergio Reguilon's buy-back clause.

Reguilon is enjoying a decent second season at Spurs, having played every minute of their Premier League campaign so far.

The 24-year-old's form has earned him a place in Luis Enrique's Spain squad for the last two international breaks - and has also caught the eye of Los Blancos boss Ancelotti.

Tottenham signed Reguilon from Madrid for £27million in last year's summer transfer window, but the La Liga giants insisted on a buy-back clause.

And Ancelotti is now ready to activate that clause - with the backing of president Florentino Perez, who reportedly views the sale of the player as a mistake.

Sergio Reguilon's form has attracted the attention of Real Madrid, who reportedly want to buy him back (Action Images via Reuters)

That's according to El Nacional, which claims Reguilon has 'already said yes' to a return, and says it is 'a matter of time' before the transfer happens.

The publication says Madrid can buy Reguilon back next summer for €40m (£33m), which would represent a small profit on what Tottenham paid for his signature.

However, a previous report from Football London said Spurs would make a profit of £15m from any buy-back deal with the Spanish side - who also have first refusal in the unlikely event he is sold in the January transfer window.

Reguilon was sold by Ancelotti's predecessor Zinedine Zidane, with the former boss not viewing the left-back as part of his plans.

Where will Tottenham finish this season? Have your say in the comments section

Manchester United were also said to be interested in Reguilon at the time, but were put off by Madrid's insistence on a buy-back clause and eventually signed Alex Telles from Porto instead.

And Tottenham's decision to agree to such a clause could backfire on them as Ancelotti looks to solve his problems on the left side of defence.

The Madrid boss has been deprived of the services of Ferland Mendy through injury, with the left-back having made his first appearance of the season in Tuesday's 5-0 Champions League win over Shakhtar Donetsk.

Right-back Dani Carvajal is also currently injured, leaving Ancelotti juggling his options.

Reguilon and team-mate Eric Dier were jointly named Man of the Match following their quick-thinking actions when a fan suffered a cardiac arrest during Sunday's win over Newcastle United.

Spurs full-back Reguilon alerted referee Andre Marriner that there was a serious incident unfolding and suggested the match be stopped to help aid the situation.

Dier was responsible for ensuring that a defibrillator was taken into the stands from on the side-lines after 80-year-old fan Alan George Smith was taken ill.

Mr Smith is still in hospital, but Newcastle have revealed he is "making great progress" and is "fully alert".

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.