Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Business

Real Madrid launch women's team after takeover approved

FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - Women's Primera Division - FC Barcelona vs CD Tacon - Estadi Johan Cruyff, Barcelona, Spain - September 7, 2019 Barcelona's Jenifer Hermoso scores their ninth goal to complete her hat-trick REUTERS/Albert Gea/File Photo

Real Madrid have taken the final step towards officially launching their women's team after the Spanish soccer federation approved a deal to merge with CD Tacon, the club said in a statement on Wednesday.

Real agreed to absorb Tacon last year after they were promoted to the top division of Spanish women's soccer, a move that was approved by the club's members at last year's general assembly.

Tacon retained their name, badge and kit last season but played and trained at Real's Valdebebas facilities.

They finished 10th in the 16-team division, which ended prematurely due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Real said the federation had received and approved the corresponding documents to finalise the deal to absorb Tacon and that the merger would become effective once the men's season ends on July 19.

In addition to the senior team, the club will create a youth section comprising of Under-16 to Under-19 sides.

"Real Madrid are looking forward to this new challenge with a commitment to promoting women's football and contributing to its development and growth in our society," the statement added.

(Reporting by Richard Martin, editing by Ed Osmond)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.