Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Chicago Tribune
Chicago Tribune
Sport
Paul Sullivan

Re-done Wrigley Field a selling point for Cubs

Nov. 12--PHOENIX -- Imagine the looks on the faces of executives and agents if the Cubs had new manager Joe Maddon pull up to the front of the swanky Arizona Biltmore in the RV he calls the "Cousin Eddie.

Maddon could stroll into the lobby and plop down an "Open for Business" sign, just as former White Sox owner Bill Veeck did during the 1975 winter meetings.

Alas, the Cubs won't use Maddon openly to recruit players, other than to call and express his interest in managing them.

"Obviously if the dollars are the same and (players) are trying to figure out 'fit,' I think we'll do well in that category because of Chicago and Wrigley (Field) and a manger guys like to play for," general manager Jed Hoyer said Tuesday from baseball's GM meetings. "We'll do everything we can to sell that, but nothing out of the ordinary. But I think there will be phone calls for sure."

The Cubs have three major selling points -- money, Maddon and Wrigley.

While money probably matters most, the other two factors are intertwined in presenting the narrative of a Cubs' Renaissance to potential free agents.

A tour of Wrigley in its present state would give players an idea of the lofty goals the team has for the future. Hoyer took one last week and called it "scary and really cool at the same time."

The first-ever jumbo-sized video-board at Wrigley also will be an attraction, though Hoyer acknowledged it would take fans some getting used to the change.

"To think it's not going to be a source of some controversy at first, because it's a ballpark that's never had one ... the idea that something like that can fit in seamlessly is probably somewhat unrealistic," he said.

"Eventually people probably will really come to appreciate it. I'm sure there will be some people who never do, but the vast majority will realize it's going to be a pretty cool element of the ballpark, and the ivy and old scoreboard and all those things aren't going away."

Hoyer and President Theo Epstein will have some sway in the content of the video board, making sure it's "baseball focused" and not just a marketing tool.

Cubs' fans will not be told when to "get loud," according to Hoyer.

"That stuff doesn't play at Fenway, and it certainly doesn't play at a place like Wrigley," he said. "The fans are great. They know when to cheer, and how loud to cheer."

Of course, they also know when to boo.

Never-ending rumor: The Starlin Castro-to-the-Mets rumors figure to continue all winter, even if the Cubs insist they aren't looking to trade their shortstop.

"That's the nature of it is now," Hoyer said. "People are trying to connect those two teams, so that's just what it's going to be. I don't want to say there's nothing there, but this is the 10th time those rumors have surfaced."

Hoyer also said Javier Baez doesn't have to win the second base job, despite his struggles after being called up last August.

"Even Javy knows he has to make some adjustments," Hoyer said. "But certainly we expected some troubles when he came up, and he's immensely talented. We expect him to come into spring training as our second baseman."

Hamels watch: Phillies left-hander Cole Hamels may be in play and the Cubs are seeking a front line starter, but not if that means giving up the farm.

"The game is moving younger," Hoyer said. "And to all of a sudden build up a stockpile of young players just to deplete it as fast as you built it up doesn't seem like an avenue that's likely for us."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.