Julian Nagelsmann says Timo Werner's transfer to Chelsea is not guaranteed yet.
The free-scoring RB Leipzig striker looks set to seal a move to the Blues after they beat Liverpool to his signature earlier this month.
Yet there has been some delay in putting the finishing touches to Werner's transfer, which is said in part to be down to difficulties securing a medical during the coronavirus pandemic.
Whilst Nagelsmann says Leipzig have to accept the realities of selling their star players, the manager also revealed that Werner's move to Stamford Bridge is not guaranteed yet.
“The transfer is not fixed you, you have to emphasise that,” Nagelsmann told Sport1 .
“I’m a coach with a realistic view and dreams.
“I’m aware that one or another highly talented player will leave us. It’s up to us, then, to find new players who can follow in such big footsteps.”
The tone marks a bit of a shift from what Nagelsmann said on Friday evening, when he admitted that Werner would not be at Leipzig next season.
“I do not expect Timo to be here next season,“ the 32-year-old told DAZN
Werner, 24, has netted an impressive 31 goals in 42 games for Leipzig this season, including four in the five games played since the Bundesliga resumed last month.
The Blues caused a stir earlier this month when it was reported that they had beaten Liverpool to his signing, with the Anfield side long-term favourites to seal a deal for the German striker.