RTE anchor Ray Kennedy has issued an update following a vicious attack on his teenage son on Friday night.
The TV presenter confirmed that his son had been the victim of a violent attack but said that he was now 'on the mend'.
Ray's son Ciaran, who is just 19, was cycling home from his summer job when he was ambushed by five thugs who tried to rob his bike as he cycled through north Dublin on Saturday morning .
He was only saved from more serious injuries by three passers-by who rescued him from the mob.
Sharing a photo of the front page of the Irish Daily Star he said: "I confirm my son was attacked on Fri night, he was cycling home after work.
"He’s strong - knows self defence. 5 thugs outnumbered him, punched him, broke his nose - black eyes and cuts. I can’t thank those who came to his aid enough. Without them, who knows? He’s on the mend now."

Ciaran, who is an engineering student at DCU, was cycling home from a summer job with Ryanair at Dublin Airport when he was attacked on the Swords Road between Santry and Whitehall just after midnight on Saturday.
Mr Kennedy – who presented the RTE 6.1 and 9pm news bulletins last night despite the family trauma – told the Irish Mirror the men pounced on him as he was cycling up a ramp on the Swords Road to head towards Whitehall Church.
Ray's RTE colleagues were among those who threw support behind him and his family upon the news that his son had been targeted.
RTE reporter Fergal Bowers said: "So sorry to hear that Ray. I hope he makes a full recovery."
Broadcaster and writer Maia Dunphy added: "This is awful Ray, I honestly despair sometimes. Glad your son is on the mend."
Speaking to the Irish Mirror about the incident over the weekend Ray said: “He was going uphill and had his backpack on, so he was an easy target.
“He has done self-defence training, but nobody could defend themselves against five attackers.”
Mr Kennedy, 51, added: “They came out of the bushes and attacked him, he didn’t stand a chance.
“They jumped out of the bushes and shouted “gimme your bike’.
“He tried to defend himself, but he was outnumbered and they attacked him.”
Mr Kennedy revealed that the beating, in which Ciaran suffered the broken nose, could have been much worse but for two men who intervened.
He said: “Two guys intervened and managed to grab Ciaran’s hike off the gang and they ran off.
“Then a woman in a car stopped and helped him as well.
“Ciaran got back on the bike and cycled off but thankfully the woman followed him at Whitehall Church and told him he needed to get checked out.
“She also called her husband who was an off duty paramedic then Ciaran asked her to call me,
“I got the call late on and was wary of answering it as it was not a number I recognised. But I did and she told me she was with my son and he had just been attacked.”
Mr Kennedy lives with his family a few miles away and raced to the scene after the shock call.
He then brought Ciaran to Beaumont Hospital where he received treatment for his injuries.
Mr Kennedy said: “Ciaran is a decent lad, he did not deserve this. He is grand now, but a bit shook up. He has to get an operation now to straighten his nose.
“But I know it could have been a lot worse.
“I dread to think what would have happened if the people didn’t intervene.
“We are really grateful to them and I have already contacted to thank them for what they did.”
Mr Kennedy said Ciaran would now have to take time off his summer job with Ryanair to recuperate.
“I think I will be dropping him and collecting him by car from now on. He won’t be cycling home,” Mr Kennedy said.