DENVER _ Prince Fielder, the slugger acquired by the Texas Rangers in November 2013, is expected to announce his retirement from baseball Wednesday during a news conference at Globe Life Park.
Fielder underwent a second cervical fusion surgery July 29 after a herniated disk was discovered in his neck above the vertebrae he had fused in May 2014. Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said at the time that it was too early to say if Fielder's career was done.
But he has decided that it is, according to major league sources.
Fielder, 32, would finish his career with 319 homers, 1,028 RBIs, a .283 average and a .506 slugging percentage. But he hit only 34 of those homers in parts of three seasons with the Rangers after joining them following a trade from Detroit for second baseman Ian Kinsler.
Fielder is owed $96 million over the next four seasons, with the Tigers paying at least $24 million of it. The contract included an insurance policy, Daniels said last month.