Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Los Angeles Times
Los Angeles Times
Sport
Gary Klein

Rams keep leading tackler, but lose two key pieces of secondary

March 09--The Rams lost two members of their secondary to other teams but are on track to hold on to their leading tackler from the 2015 season.

Mark Barron, a safety/linebacker, was expected to re-sign with the Rams when unrestricted free agents could begin signing contracts at 1 p.m. PST, according to several reports.

Barron played last season at the weakside linebacker position after Alec Ogletree suffered a season-ending ankle injury.

Barron finished with 116 tackles and three forced fumbles.

The Rams released middle linebacker James Laurinaitis a few weeks ago, clearing the way for Ogletree to move to the middle and opening a starting spot for Barron.

Barron was a first-round draft pick by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the seventh player selected overall, in the 2012 draft.

An offer Keenum (hopefully) can't refuse

The Rams have said they did not intend to let quarterback Case Keenum, an unrestricted free agent, go to another team.

The Rams took a step toward ensuring that by tendering him at a first-round level, which is about $3.6 million.

If another team gives Keenum an offer, the Rams would have the right of first refusal to match it. If Keenum signs with another team, the Rams would receive a first-round draft pick as compensation.

Keenum is the presumptive starter heading into off-season workouts, but Coach Jeff Fisher and General Manager Les Snead have said that they would seek to upgrade all positions, including quarterback, through free agency, trades and the draft.

Nick Foles and Sean Mannion also are on the roster.

Keenum said last week that he was preparing to be the starter and was buoyed by confidence that coaches have shown in him.

McCleod and Jenkins on the way out

Members of the Rams' secondary are apparently taking full advantage of free agency.

Safety Rodney McLeod, who was third on the team in tackles last season, has agreed to a deal with the Philadelphia Eagles, according to several reports. Players can sign contracts beginning at 1 p.m. PST.

Cornerback Janoris Jenkins, a four-year starter for the Rams, is expected to sign a five-year, $62.5-million contract with the New York Giants, , according to several reports.

McLeod's deal is reportedly for five years and worth $37 million.

Jenkins was a four-year starter and a key player for a defense that was the Rams' strength last season. He intercepted three passes last season and has 10 interceptions in his career.

Jenkins' future with the Rams was in doubt after the team put the franchise tag on cornerback Trumaine Johnson, who signed a one-year tender offer for nearly $14 million.

Rams Coach Jeff Fisher and General Manager Les Snead had said that re-signing members of the secondary was a top priority.

Cornerback Trumaine Johnson signed a one-year franchise tender offer for nearly $14 million.

Safety/linebacker Mark Barron, the Rams' leading tackler last season, also is an unrestricted free agent.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.