Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Newsday
Newsday
Sport
Barbara Barker

Ramon Sessions agrees to one-year deal with Knicks, source says

The Knicks and journeyman point guard Ramon Sessions agreed on a one-year contract for the league minimum, a source confirmed Friday.

Sessions, 31, who averaged 6.2 points and 2.6 assists in 50 games for Charlotte last season, is being brought in to mentor second-year guard Ron Baker and 19-year-old rookie Frank Ntilikina. He will be paid $2.3 million.

Sessions isn't exactly the Kyrie Irving-type talent that Knicks fans had been hoping for (the Knicks are among the teams to which Irving reportedly told the Cavaliers he would like to be traded). Sessions is, however, experienced and cost-effective.

The Knicks are the eighth team Sessions has played for since he was drafted with the 56th overall pick in 2007. The 10-year veteran has appeared in 663 games, including 143 starts, and averaged 10.6 points and 4.1 assists. His most productive recent season was in 2013-14, when he averaged 12.3 points and 4.1 assists with the Hornets and Bucks.

Sessions missed the final two months of last season after tearing the meniscus in his left knee, the same injury that ended Derrick Rose's season with the Knicks. The Charlotte Observer reported the Hornets declined Sessions' option for the 2017-18 season, which would have paid him almost $6.3 million.

Sessions gives the Knicks 12 players on guaranteed contracts. The Knicks also are working toward a deal with second-round pick Damyean Dotson.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.