Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
Sport
Jake Polden

Ralf Rangnick details private Michael Carrick chat after initially not speaking to him

Ralf Rangnick held a private conversation with Michael Carrick and tried to convince him to remain at Manchester United - but couldn't persuade him to stay.

That's according to Rangnick, who spoke to the press for the first time as Red Devils manager on Friday.

Rangnick was in the Old Trafford stands on Thursday night as United ran out 3-2 winners over Arsenal in Carrick's third and final game in temporary charge.

Carrick announced he would be leaving United following the fixture, snubbing the offer to return to this form role as coach.

Rangnick said on Friday: "I got to know this two days ago [that Carrick was leaving]. Had a private conversation with him for more than an hour. I tried to persuade him to stay on board but in the end, I had to accept his decision."

Can Ralf Rangnick guide Man Utd to a top-four place this season? Comment down below

Ralf Rangnick held a private conversation with Michael Carrick (PA)

Carrick hadn't spoken to Rangnick until this meeting as the German was working on getting a visa before United could officially name him interim boss.

Carrick told the media just two days ago: "No, because of the process and work permit, we haven't been able to [talk].

"So we've carried on It's worked well the last two games and hopefully will tomorrow.

"I haven't really got anything to update you on, other than the work permit process is ongoing as we speak and I'm in this position, as I was for Villarreal and Chelsea, getting the boys ready for the game tomorrow night."

Carrick explained his reasons for leaving United after guiding the club to victory over Arsenal.

"It's not been an easy decision to make but I feel it's the right one," Carrick told Amazon. "I was going to take time off after I finished playing and it never happened. It feels like the right time to step away and what a way to finish.

"It's 100 per cent my decision. Over the last week, I was conscious I respected the club and the manager coming in. I thought it was the right thing to do for the club and for Ralf [Rangnick] and I'm quite happy with that.

"We were in a situation where there was a responsibility to see these games through. The loyalty to Ole is a little bit of a factor but there were a lot of things that came into my decision.

"I've had great times, great memories and I'm proud of the players over the past three games. I just told [the players] and they were a bit shocked and surprised, a bit emotional in the changing room.

"I held it together just about. It's not been easy to keep it away from people but I had a job to do."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.