Manchester City have held discussions with Raheem Sterling regarding a new contract, though the expectation is an agreement will not be reached until after the World Cup.
It is understood a meeting was held with Sterling’s representatives at the end of last month. With the forward set to be named in Gareth Southgate’s England World Cup squad, talks may not resume before July.
Sterling, who joined City from Liverpool for £44m in the summer of 2015, earns about £170,000 a week on a deal that has two years remaining. The forward is seeking to be one of the champions’ best-paid players and can expect a rise to his basic weekly salary of at least £50,000.
City are intent on rewarding the 22-year-old for the most impressive season of his career in which he has scored 23 goals and been a key factor in City winning the title with five matches to spare.
Pep Guardiola said: “The club, the chairman [Khaldoon al-Mubarak] and myself want him to stay a long time, renew his contract but we are going on holiday in a few days.”
Guardiola also expects Sergio Agüero to stay, though he could not be unequivocal. Asked whether the striker may leave the manager said: “I think it’s not going to happen. My desire is it will not happen but I don’t know … Sergio is going to stay until he decides his time is over.”
Brahim Díaz and Phil Foden have each made four Premier League appearances so need to make a fifth in Sunday’s final match at Southampton to get a winner’s medal. “I didn’t know it but, all respect, it looks ridiculous to me,” Guardiola said of the rule. “If they want my medal I will give them the medal. They are champions – they worked from day one to the last one, training with us, in the locker room.”