The military is being called in to take emergency supplies to isolated parts of Cumbria that have been cut-off for five days by heavy snow.
The county council said that despite its “best efforts” to clear the roads, areas including Fellside, South Stainmore and Alston had been left isolated and could remain so for another 48 hours.
On Monday morning, the council tweeted a picture of a Chinook helicopter at Carlisle airport preparing to deliver supplies – including food, coal and logs for heating, and electrical heating appliances.
Equipment and supplies being loaded onto Chinook at @CarlisleAirport as military begins emergency supply run to cut off #cumbria communities. #uksnow pic.twitter.com/44AYL7BvxE
— CumbriaCountyCouncil (@CumbriaCC) March 5, 2018
Stewart Young, the council leader, said: “We have some communities who have now been stranded for five days and we have to do all we can to ensure that they are safe and well.
“Despite our very best efforts and our crews working day and night we are experiencing ongoing significant challenges in accessing some of our communities. The depth of snow and the challenging nature of the terrain is making progress on clearing roads exceptionally slow.
“As a result it is estimated that it will be at least 48 hours before we reach many more of these communities, hence the need to bring in military assistance and we are very grateful for their help.”
A Met Office yellow weather warning for ice is in place for areas including Cumbria until 11am on Monday.
The agency’s forecast for the region said driving conditions might be difficult, with icy stretches likely on untreated roads, pavements and cycle paths. A small amount of hill snow was likely to fall, mainly over the Pennines.
Wg Cmdr Gary Lane, the RAF’s regional liaison officer for the north-west, said: “The Chinook helicopter gives the partnership another dimension to be able to deliver vital supplies by air to areas that are cut off by other means.”