Aryna Sabalenka cut short her press conference at the French Open as leading players protested against the tournament.
A group of 20 players, including world No.1s Sabalenka and Jannik Sinner, have been pushing for a higher percentage of revenue at the grand slams to be awarded in prize money.
They are also unhappy at a lack of progress in their calls for investment in welfare programmes, including pension contributions, and representation at decision-making level.
Having sent an initial letter to the four slams last spring, the group put out a statement earlier this month expressing deep unhappiness with the French Open in particular, which on Friday manifested itself in a coordinated protest during the tournament's preview media day.
A number of players limited their activity to 15 minutes, comprising a 10-minute press conference and five-minute interview with the host broadcaster, refusing to do additional TV or radio interviews or provide social media content for the tournament.
The 15-minute time limit was chosen because that is the approximate percentage of revenue currently given in prize money by the French Open – well short of the players' demand for 22 per cent.
The prize fund has risen by 9.5 per cent year on year to 61.7million euros ($A100.4 million), with this year's singles champions each collecting 2.8million euros ($A4.6 million).
Sabalenka ramped up the heat in Rome earlier this month by saying she believed players would need to boycott a slam to achieve their aims and, speaking in Paris, she said: "I stand with my words.
"You guys know how much we respect you and we appreciate you. It's not about you. It's just we are trying to fight for a fair percentage."
The Belarusian abruptly brought the English section of her press conference to a halt, saying: "Now it's time for national language. Thank you so much for being here, for asking questions."
The key question now will be what comes next, with Sabalenka's call for a boycott making a number of players jittery.
American Taylor Fritz said: "I don't know if I want to start throwing around the 'B' word.
"It's a really big deal, and I don't think we as players should really make big threats like that unless we're fully ready to do it."
Novak Djokovic, who's not part of the group and did not limit his media activity, called for the sport to avoid the fractures seen in golf with the splinter LIV tour.
"Let's learn from that," he said. "Let's try to be a bit more united and have a unifying voice into finding a better structure and a better future for our sport, because now is the right time."