Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Edinburgh Live
Edinburgh Live
National
Hilary Mitchell

Queensferry Crossing in Edinburgh reopens days after ice falling from bridge smashed windscreens

The Queensferry Crossing reopened today (12 February), after it was closed for the first time since it first opened in 2017.

The £1.35 billion bridge was shut in both directions on Monday night after falling ice and snow from overhead cables damaged several cars.

Official Twitter account @theforthbridges announced:

"The Queensferry Crossing will reopen at 10:45 today, with bridge operators and weather forecasters now confident that the risk of ice and snow accumulating and falling from the cables has passed."

The move led to lengthy tailbacks on Tuesday as drivers had to take a 35-mile diversion across the Kincardine Bridge.

The bridge had been expected to remain open in all weathers. It was fitted with 3.5m-high barriers designed to ensure the structure wouldn’t be closed by high winds.

Operating company Amey say that they have been "continually monitoring the bridge since it was closed to traffic on Monday, working closely with weather forecasters and other operational partners to build a more accurate understanding of the specific processes that led to snow and ice accumulating and then falling from the cables."

They say that they are now confident that it is safe to reopen the bridge despite the fact that more wintry weather is forecast.

Paul McNicol, whose van was hit by ice (Callum Moffat/ Daily Record)

Mark Arndt, Account Director for operating company Amey, said:

“We thank drivers for their patience and understanding during this closure. Safety had to come first, however the data we have gathered has improved our understanding of the issue and will help us to improve predictions and refine operating procedures in future.”

Martin, a joiner who was heading home to South Queensferry, told the Daily Record that he got a “fright” as the corner of his windscreen was damaged on Monday afternoon.

He said: “I was going southbound when there was a huge bang and the windscreen has blown.

“I drove on another 200 to 300 yards and stopped just behind an Amey truck.

“The guy who was there started pointing up at the bridge.”

Martin had been coming home from work at around 4.35pm and was directly underneath the north stanchion when the ice struck.

After stopping, Martin went on to bridge operator Amey’s nearby office and saw another two vehicles up on trucks and another motorist driving behind.

He said: “So there were four drivers in there in the space of about 30 minutes.

“To be fair, the Amey guys were pretty good. The first thing they asked was whether I needed towed.”

Another van driver, Paul McNicol, suffered a smashed windscreen on the bridge after it was hit by ice on Monday.

Yesterday (11 February), an HGV driver decided .

Road Policing Scotland took to social media to share details of the incident, adding that the driver has now been reported for careless driving.

They tweeted: "National Motorcycle Unit were on car duties today and stopped an HGV driver who decided the diversions were not for him and went over the FRB which was closed to high-sided vehicles.

"He then missed the Echline slip and reversed up the main carriageway. Reported for careless driving."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.