Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
ABC News
ABC News
National

Queen makes first in-person engagement since hospitalisation

The Queen hosted Sir Nick Carter, the outgoing British chief of the defence staff, at Windsor Castle. (The Royal Family)

The Queen has conducted her first in-person royal engagement after a health scare that saw her hospitalised last month.

On Wednesday she hosted outgoing armed forces chief Sir Nick Carter at Windsor Castle, who is stepping down from his role at the end of November.

The 95-year-old monarch had missed several appearances, including the opening of the COP26 climate conference in Glasgow, after she spent her first night in hospital since 2013 on October 20.

At the time Buckingham Palace said she had been advised to rest for two weeks after attending hospital for "preliminary investigations" into an unknown illness.

Since then she has undertaken light duties including hosting virtual audiences over a videolink, but was forced to cancel an appearance at a Remembrance Sunday service in London last weekend after spraining her back, an injury the palace said was unrelated to the illness that saw her hospitalisation.

Earlier in the year she had used a walking stick for support during several public appearances.

On Wednesday the Queen appeared to be walking and standing freely and without issue after the back injury.

Her son and next in line to the throne, Prince Charles, said his mother was "alright" when asked about his mother's health.

"She's alright thank you very much," Charles told reporters during a royal trip to Jordan.

"It's bad enough at 73."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.