Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
National
Zoe Forsey

Queen and Prince Philip return to Windsor Castle as they prepare for second lockdown

The Queen and Prince Philip have arrived at Windsor Castle in preparation for the second lockdown.

They left Sandringham following the government's announcement that England will enter a second national lockdown on Thursday.

The couple, who usually live apart, spent the first lockdown together in Windsor and have decided to do the same this time around.

As restrictions began to ease the couple went to Balmoral for their normal summer holiday before Philip returned to Sandringham.

The Queen visited him over the weekend, but they returned to Windsor together today ready for the tough weeks ahead.

A Buckingham Palace spokesman said the duke's move to Windsor had been planned for a while.

The Queen and Philip will celebrate their wedding anniversary during the second lockdown (PA)

The move means they will be together for their 73rd wedding anniversary on November 20.

A dedicated team of staff will look after the couple, dubbed 'HMS Bubble'.

A source told The Sun : "Philip is keen to spend his anniversary with the Queen.

"They spent seven months together in HMS Bubble due to Covid-19 this year and only been apart for a few weeks now.

"It is also seen as a chance for staff at Sandringham to have a break so that they will feel better about working at Christmas. But Christmas is still up in the air."

Sandringham staff were said to be unhappy about the idea of being stuck in Her Majesty's bubble for four weeks during the holiday period.

This would mean not seeing their own families for an extended period.

Reports claim the staff - understood to include around 20 cleaners and laundry and maintenance workers - have put their foot down and told HRH "enough is enough".

It's a beautiful place to isolate (Getty Images)

England faces strict restrictions from Thursday, which will see people being asked to stay inside and all non-essential businesses, including gyms and pubs, close their doors.

Unlike the first lockdown, education will continue as normal, including universities.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said he was "truly, truly sorry" for the impact the second lockdown, which comes after a surge in Covid cases, will have on businesses.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.