Queensland Rugby Union boss Jim Carmichael might soon regret what some regard as his churlish treatment of Quade Cooper, with reports suggesting the Wallabies fly-half is “seriously considering” playing for the NSW Waratahs next season. Although unlikely, this would be a jaw-dropping and unprecedented defection in Queensland sport if it happens, akin to, say, Wally Lewis quitting the Maroons for the Blues. It simply can’t happen. And, God forbid, if it does, Carmichael could be in serious trouble with his board and loyal Reds fans.
Here’s the background to what is an evolving news story: late on Sunday, Carmichael issued an extraordinary media statement saying the Reds had ceased negotiations with Cooper. Carmichael accused Cooper’s manager, Khoder Nasser, of having “unrealistic expectations”. The Reds CEO was also miffed at Cooper’s recent trip to France where he signed a deal with Toulon.
And then the coup de grace of send-offs: “We have come to the difficult decision that the investment we have made previously and were prepared to continue to make has not been recognised, particularly when taking into account our commitment to him over a very long period of time. As a consequence, we are no longer prepared to be involved in any further discussions as this will leave the organisation further exposed,” Carmichael said.
The particularly nasty subtext to that statement – and one that wouldn’t have been lost on Nasser – is, of course, the Reds standing by Cooper when he was charged with burglary in 2009. It was a low blow from the Reds boss. Cooper resolved the burglary charge without conviction, and has long repaid any perceived debt to the franchise by putting bums on seats for many a season. “People can love or hate Quade but he brings people to the game. It’s his x-factor that is responsible for the 30,000 crowds, the buzz and what the Reds have become,” is what Will Genia had to say about Cooper’s effect on the Reds’ bottom line. If anything, the Reds ought to be paying Cooper commission on ticket sales.
By any measure this has been a massive dummy spit by Carmichael. He’s clearly showing signs of strain in the wake of two mediocre seasons. Certainly, a skirmish he had with a junior club official at Suncorp two weeks ago supports that view. And this is from an administrator some had tipped for the Australian Rugby Union top job only a few years ago.
One final point on Carmichael’s press release: he suggests Nasser has been difficult to deal with in negotiations. Nasser is also Sonny Bill Williams’s agent. This is what New Zealand Rugby CEO Steve Tew had to say about his dealings with Nasser: “Everyone in here found Khoder very straight up, which was refreshing. Obviously, he has a different way of doing things. He has a very clear view of what he wants for his clients and he puts it on the table. We had very efficient negotiations; no mucking around. He’s very easy to deal with: he tells you what he wants.” It’s a shame for Reds fans that Carmichael couldn’t find the same common ground with Nasser as the All Blacks had done.
So where to now for Cooper? He has a four-year deal on the table from the Australian Rugby Union. There is, of course, the issue of paying $220,000 to get a release from the Toulon contract. But it’s understood Cooper will spring for that himself as recent conversations with dual Wallabies/Waratahs coach Michael Cheika has him convinced he has future in Australian rugby. Cheika, who remains head coach of the Tahs for at least another week, two if they make they make the Super Rugby final, wants Cooper to stay. “We have been discussing seriously with Quade and his management about a long term deal to play his rugby in Australia, so obviously I am disappointed reading the papers – I know we’ve tabled a really fair offer which Quade has been strongly considering. The ARU wants Quade to continue playing in Australia,” he said.
The ARU has stated its position: “We respect the QRU’s position, but ultimately he is now a free agent and has to consider a new landscape,” ARU general manager Rob Clarke said. “The decision sits with him as to which road he wants to take, but he will do so knowing that the head coach of the Wallabies and the ARU is fully supportive of Quade playing for Australia, from Australia.”
The crucial question, though, is whether the Waratahs can accommodate Cooper when they already have Bernard Foley on their books. The answer is no, according to coach-in-waiting Daryl Gibson. “Quade is a wonderful player, don’t get me wrong I’d love him to be part of the NSW Waratahs at some stage,” Gibson told journalists on Tuesday. “He’d be a great addition but we’re full. We’ve got salary cap issues and also I think he’d be struggling to find a spot in our team.”
Is that the end of the speculation? Probably in as far as Cooper playing for the Waratahs is concerned. “It’s a fantasy cooked up in a journalist’s bedroom,” is how one source close to the Waratahs described the reports to Guardian Australia. But that doesn’t mean Cooper couldn’t play for another team. Apparently, the Crusaders are looking for a decent fly-half. Imagine that – Quade Cooper as a replacement for Dan Carter. The mind boggles, but such is professional rugby.
Cooper, 27, is a complex character. However, he remains a huge talent – one yet to fulfil his potential at international level. Carmichael looks to have made the wrong call in letting such a quality player go. Thankfully, the ARU, no doubt heavily influenced by Cheika, are taking a far more measured and practical approach in negotiations. Carmichael, meanwhile, ought to dread the prospect of Cooper lining up for another team against the Reds at Suncorp next season.
This article was amended following Daryl Gibson’s statement about Quade Cooper on Tuesday.