Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
AAP
AAP
Health
Marty Silk

Qld eases restrictions, awaits modelling

Annastacia Palaszczuk says eased restrictions will allow up to 200 people at weddings and funerals. (AAP)

Queensland will further ease its COVID-19 restrictions as it awaits new modelling on opening up to the rest of the country when vaccination coverage hits 80 per cent.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk says no new virus cases were recorded in the community and one was recorded in hotel quarantine after 13,591 tests in the 24 hours to 6am on Friday.

She says that means the state can further ease COVID-19 restrictions from 4pm.

"So it's now been around 20 days since we've had an case active in the community," the premier told reporters.

"And once again Queenslanders have done a great job protecting each other, so in some further good news today, we are going to be easing our restrictions even more."

Ms Palaszczuk says up to 100 people will be allowed at home gatherings and 200 people will be allowed at weddings and funerals, or one person per two square metres.

The same social-distancing limits will be allowed in cafes, restaurants, pubs and clubs, while stadiums and venues with ticketed seats will be able to operate at 100 per cent capacity.

However, Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young said facemasks will still be mandatory indoors and outdoors where people are unable to socially-distance.

"It is important that we just maintain some restrictions," Dr Young said.

"Just wear masks when you can't socially distance, particularly indoors, the risk is far less outdoors, unless you're in very big numbers."

The state's delivered another 20,447 vaccine doses overnight, with 48.25 per cent of eligible Queenslanders having received a first jab and 29.45 per cent fully vaccinated.

The state is long way off reaching vaccination coverage of 80 per cent, with the second lowest coverage after Western Australia.

Ms Palaszczuk said she had not received a copy of the Doherty Institute modelling on what load the easing restrictions at 70 and 80 per cent would place on her state health system.

"I'm looking forward to actually hearing from the Doherty Institute today at national cabinet, I think it'll be very interesting," she said ahead of the meeting.

Deputy Premier Steven Miles said his NSW counterpart had reached out to discuss how to make life easier for communities impacted by the state border closure.

An earlier offer by Queensland to move checkpoints south to temporarily include the NSW border town of Tweed Heads within Queensland was declined by NSW.

"We certainly welcome this change of heart, this approach from the deputy premier of NSW to work with us, and of course we will work with them to put in place whatever measures we can to both keep the border safe, but also minimise its impact," Mr Miles said.

Meanwhile, the Commonwealth has announced that Multiplex had been chosen to develop an 800-bed quarantine facility at Pinkenba, near Brisbane Airport, with construction to begin shortly.

It comes one day after the state government started work on a 1000-bed facility at Wellcamp, near Toowoomba, which doesn't have federal support.

The Queensland government supports both projects, saying the facilities will allow the state to replace its inadequate hotel quarantine system, which has been the source of a number of COVID-19 outbreaks.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.