
Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk says she's not happy with the way the health department treated a man with brain cancer who was denied a request to quarantine at home.
Gary Ralph, 71, had surgery in Sydney last week and arrived back in Queensland with his wife Wendy Child on Tuesday, but he was ordered into hotel quarantine.
The operation has reportedly taken away Mr Ralph's ability to speak or even hold a pen and his NSW doctor has asked Queensland Health to allow him to quarantine at home.
The health department is allowing him to leave the hotel for chemotherapy treatment but he must travel by taxi or ride-share, in the back seat with the windows down, and must wear a mask.
Ms Palaszczuk says Mr Ralph's situation is "very distressing" and she's asked Health Minister Steven Miles to look into his case.
"That's very distressing and can I say I'm not happy with the way Queensland Health has dealt with that at all," she said.
"I spoke with the health minister, the deputy premier this morning. He's going to be speaking with the paramedics and ambulance service about ensuring that transfers can happen. So, look, everyone needs to understand that this is an awful situation that people are going through."
Queensland recorded no new cases of COVID-19 on Wednesday, with just seven active cases in the state.
Ms Palaszczuk indicated Queensland was still on course to reopen its NSW border if the southern state kept a lid on unlinked community transmission of the virus for another 16 days.
"We have always said that we want to watch very carefully what happens in NSW over the next fortnight as they go on to school holidays," she said.
"That's when people are moving around, as well. And they're not just staying around their homes in their neighbourhood so we're watching that very very carefully."