Puppy dies after owner finds it 'bleeding from its eyes' after walk
A dog owner was left heartbroken after her puppy died days after being taken on a walk.
Chloe Smith, 22, said it was like "something out of a horror film" when her dog Sasha fell seriously ill last week.
Within the space of a few days, Chloe said the 11-month-old Pocket Bulldog started bleeding from her eyes and vomiting up her intestines.
She was taken to the vets for treatment but had to be put down on Monday, November 22.
"One day she had stopped eating, I took her to the vets and they said she's coming into season and she's not showing any signs of anything major."
Over the next 24 hours, the puppy's condition quickly deteriorated and she began vomiting and bleeding from her bottom.
After taking her back to the vets, Chloe said she was told the dog had been poisoned with a "high dose of rat poison."
The mum-of-two believes the puppy must have been poisoned on a field near to the M53 in the Westminster area of Ellesmere Port, where she used to walk her everyday.
Chloe said: "We went to see her and she was bleeding from her eyes.
"She couldn't even stand up then, all in a matter of 48 hours from being sleepy to bleeding from her eyes.
"The vet had never seen anything like it. She was shaking and her intestines were coming out with vomit - it was like something out of a horror film.
"[The vet] said they had never witnessed a poisoning so high in a dog.
"It's just a heartache I've never experienced. It's shattered everyone."
Chloe has shared what happened to warn other dog owners and help to stop the same thing from happening to anyone else.
Chloe said: "If you see signs or if your dog is doing anything out or the ordinary, even if it's not anything serious seek attention for it.
"If your dogs are off the leads please watch them, don't just let them run wild like dogs do."