Puppies become violently ill after trip to the beach as jellyfish warning issued
A dog owner is warning others about the dangers of jellyfish after her two puppies became violently ill after licking one on a beach.
While a trip to the seaside during the current heatwave might seem like a good idea, the increased presence of jellyfish at this time of year poses an added risk to dogs.
While its unlikely that a jellyfish sting will prove fatal for dogs, it can cause a rather nasty injury.
Warning other owners by sharing a post on Facebook, the owner of the poor puppies who were injured during a visit to Seaburn, Sunderland in the North East, wrote: "Immediately after both dogs were projectile vomiting and couldn’t breath and constantly licking ground or air.
"The drive to the vets was horrific. Both dogs were sick everywhere about 10 times each. They are now on oxygen and having medication.
“Please be careful there were plenty dogs down the beach and I dread the thought of this happening to any other dog."
Sadly, this owner's ordeal is not uncommon. VetsNow have reported multiple cases of having to treat jellyfish stings across the UK.
In one case a Labrador was violently sick after being stung on a beach in Fife while out for a walk.
In another part of Scotland a two-year-old Spaniel was left in pain after licking a jellyfish that had been washed up in Troon, Ayrshire.
The Merseyside area also saw a number of similar jellyfish incidents.
Jellyfish can be seen throughout the year, with the autumn a time when they are particularly common. And while most of the jellyfish you might see washed up on the beach are already dead, they can still sting for several weeks.
Laura Playforth, Vets Now’s professional standards director, had some advice for dog owners.
She said: “It’s no secret that dogs like to explore, however, it’s important to keep a close eye on them if there’s likely to be jellyfish. Often lurking in shallow water or washed up on the beach, they can cause a very nasty sting.
“If your dog is stung by a jellyfish, pull the remaining tentacles off with a stick or towel but never rub them and be careful not to touch them with your hands.
“Never rub the injured area on your dog with sand and always clean it with sea water rather than fresh water.
“If you suspect your dog has been stung you should contact your vet or, out of hours, your nearest Vets Now pet emergency clinic or 24/7 hospital straight away.”
As many dog owners will know, keeping sight of your dog at all times can sometimes be easier said than done. But there are some signs you can look out for which could suggest a jellyfish sting.
Symptoms include vomiting, drooling, swelling, retching, overheating, difficulty breathing, itching and licking the affected area.
Laura warned that dogs stung by jellyfish should be taken to the vet as soon as possible.