Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
Sport
Aaron Flanagan & Rich Jones

PSG make final transfer decision on Neymar after going AWOL and missing pre-season training

Paris Saint-Germain have told Neymar he can leave the club.

Sporting director Leonardo has made the comments after the Brazilian superstar failed to show up at PSG's pre-season training as planned on Monday.

PSG confirmed that he had not arrived and that he will be facing strict sanctions from the club.

And now Leonardo told Le Parisien on Monday night: "Neymar can leave PSG if there is an offer that suits all parties.

"But to date, we do not know if anyone wants to buy it or at what price. All this is not done in a day, that's for sure..."

Neymar in the stands watching Brazil during Copa America (REUTERS)

Leonardo added: "PSG wants to rely on players who want to stay and build something big.

We do not need players who would do a favor at the club by staying here."

Reports this summer have claimed the Brazilian is ready to push for an exit from the French capital and try to return to his former club.

A PSG statement on Monday night read: "Paris Saint-Germain notes that Neymar Jr was not in attendance at the agreed time and place.

"This was without the club’s prior authorisation.

Neymar's time in Paris appears to be coming to an end after two years (AFP/Getty Images)

"The club regrets this situation and will therefore take appropriate action."

The Brazilian striker is still undergoing treatment for an ankle injury which ruled him out of the Copa America, won by Brazil at the Maracana on Sunday night.

But he was due to be back in Paris to link up with his team-mates and begin their pre-season on Monday.

Reports in Spain previously suggested Neymar could take strike action to ensure he gets his wish of a move back to the Nou Camp.

PSG are not keen to let their superstar go after spending a world-record fee of £200m to sign him from the Catalan club just two years ago.

The Brazilian forward is determined to force through a summer exit (AFP/Getty Images)

Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu said last week: “We know that Neymar wants to leave PSG, but we also know that PSG do not want him to go."

The situation regarding Neymar is also said to have caused a boardroom dispute at Barcelona, with senior figures disagreeing over whether to sign Antoine Griezmann from Atletico Madrid or pursue the prospect of bringing their former front-man back.

Barcelona's players seem keen for his return, however, with multiple players expressing they would welcome the 26-year-old back with open arms.

He could be destined for a return to Barcelona - two years after leaving for Paris (AFP/Getty Images)

"Come on, I mean that's obvious," Rafinha said last week when asked if he wanted to see Neymar back.

"I would love him to come because what I saw with Neymar, [Lionel] Messi and [Luis] Suarez is something I've rarely seen on a football pitch.

"The understanding they have is unique, and it'd give the fans a chance to experience it.

"Personally, I would be delighted [if Neymar signed]."

His latest actions represent a step towards ensuring his move back to Barcelona happens, although it remains to be seen how PSG will respond.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.