The Public Sector Anti-Corruption Commission (PACC) has found irregularities involving funds for the destitute in 12 provinces including Khon Kaen and Chiang Mai, says a senior official.
Lt Col Kornthip Daroj, the commission's deputy secretary-general, said a sub-committee has been set up to look into alleged plundering of funds in the two provinces.
Bung Kan and Nong Khai are next and the PACC is expected to appoint a sub-committee to investigate the alleged irregularities in the provinces today, he said.
The eight others are Saraburi, Udon Thani, Surat Thani, Ayutthaya, Nan, Krabi, Trat and Trang, he said, adding the PACC is expected to launch an inquiry accordingly.
So far, the PACC has examined the conduct of such centres in 20 provinces, he said.
Lt Col Kornthip said the initial scrutiny has showed a similar practice -- funds earmarked for the underprivileged were disbursed, but the money did not go to the eligible recipients.
The state fund embezzlement scandal was first reported at the Khon Kaen Protection for the Destitute -- an agency that helps the underprivileged and HIV patients under the supervision of the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security.
Following the scandal, the PACC has directed its focus on 37 out of 70 welfare centres across the country suspected of embezzling state funds intended for the underprivileged.
According to Lt Col Kornthip, the sub-committee's investigation will focus on the role of state officials to determine if they are involved in the irregularities. They face disciplinary action by their agencies if implicated.
However, the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security can set up its own investigation in parallel with the PACC's and order any transfers to facilitate the inquiry, said the deputy secretary-general.
"We are also investigating if there is a network behind this. If senior state officials are implicated, they will face a probe by the National Anti-Corruption Commission [NACC]," he said.
The sub-committee has 90 days, until May 30, to complete the investigation which will be joined by the Anti-Money Laundering Office, he said, adding the probe will focus on the 2017 fiscal year only for the moment.
Meanwhile, soldiers in Khon Kaen have been assigned to step up security for Panida Yotpanya, 22, and Natthakan Muenpol, 26, who lodged a petition exposing the irregularities.
Following the complaints, six officials including the centre director Phuangphayom Chitkhom are accused of stealing from the fund, dereliction of duty, falsifying documents and certifying counterfeit documents in violation of the Criminal Code.
Ms Panida, a social science student at Maha Sarakham University, claimed she was told to fill in forms and sign receipts in the names of 2,000 villagers worth nearly 7 million baht during her internship at the centre.
Ms Natthakan was a former employee who claimed she was unfairly dismissed by the centre because she was aware of the alleged wrongdoing.