A disturbance has broken out among inmates at HMP Northumberland.
Prison officials say no-one was seriously injured in the incident, which happened on Sunday.
The Chronicle understands police were not called, and a spokeswoman for the jail said the matter was brought under control quickly.
A HMP Northumberland spokeswoman said: “We can confirm an incident occurred on 20 November. The matter was swiftly brought under control and no serious injuries were recorded.”
HMP Northumberland is a Category C men's prison near Acklington in Northumberland.
It is run by private firm Sodexo and houses just over 1,300 inmates.
- Wideopen rapist still at large one year on from horror attack in broad daylight
- 'He's not the same boy he was': Why mum of hit and run victim Koby Dack lies to him when he asks if driver is in jail
- Dealing gran Carol Dale can not return to Scotswood home where she peddled deadly drugs
- Girl with peanut allergy spends 18th birthday in hospital after curry from Heaton takeaway
- Wallsend fire tragedy: Flat blaze which killed man, 43, is not suspicious, police say