Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading

Princess Charlene back in Monaco after months-long absence

FILE PHOTO: Formula One F1 - Monaco Grand Prix - Circuit de Monaco, Monte Carlo, Monaco - May 27, 2018 Princess Charlene of Monaco holds a bottle of champagne on the podium after Red Bull's Daniel Ricciardo wins the Formula One race, at the Monaco racetrack. Picture taken May 27, 2018. REUTERS/Benoit Tessier

Monaco hailed the return of Princess Charlene to the principality on Monday after she had spent most of the year in her homeland South Africa.

Charlene, who married Monaco's ruler Prince Albert in 2011 in a lavish ceremony, was pictured walking a dog in the principality with her family.

Her stay in South Africa, where she grew up, sparked speculation about a potential rift inside the royal couple - a claim the family denied.

"Princess Charlene has finally been reunited in Monaco with her husband prince Albert and children prince Jacques and princess Gabriella", Monaco's royal palace said on Instagram.

She had arrived on a private jet in nearby Nice in the morning, it added.

Photographs showed Charlene wearing a protective face mask surrounded by her husband and children in front of the palace's white stairways.

In September, the princess was admitted to hospital in South Africa for treatment for an ear, nose and throat infection which led her to collapse.

The royal palace said on Monday that Charlene - who swam for South Africa at the 2000 Olympic Games - had been "held up in South Africa due to medical issues".

(Reporting by Tassilo Hummel; Editing by Angus MacSwan)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.