Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
National
Zoe Forsey

Prince Andrew 'considering second interview' to 'put right things he didn't say', claim sources

Prince Andrew is considering doing another interview about his friendship with paedophile billionaire Jeffrey Epstein, royal sources have claimed.

The Queen's son sat down with Newnight's Emily Maitlis to face a number of difficult questions on the subject in what many have described as a "car crash" inteview.

It was the first time Andrew, 59, has faced questions about his friendship with Epstein and claims he had sex with a 17-year-old girl - which he denies.

According to insiders the prince hoped to draw a line under the issue, but many viewers believe it left more questions than it gave answers.

According to Vanity Fair's Katie Nicholl , he now wants to do a second chat to "put right the things he didn't say".

Prince Andrew made claims about visiting a Pizza Express in Woking during an interview with Emily Maitlis (PA)

A source said: "There are rumors swirling that Andrew wants to do another interview.

"Andrew hasn’t drawn a line under it. He wants the chance to put right the things he didn’t say.

"Newsnight gave him the chance to show some remorse. He was asked if there was anything else he wanted to say. It was an open goal - he didn’t grasp it, and I think he sees that now."

However Buckingham Palace is "not aware" that anything is in the pipeline at this point.

The duke spoke for the first time on the weekend about his links to disgraced sex offender Epstein (BBC)

Andrew reportedly told the Queen the interview was "a great success".

A friend of the duke told the  Sun:  "The duke went to church with the Queen (on Sunday) and was heard telling her it’s all been a great success.

“He thinks he’s done the right thing and has put the criticism to rest. He was all smiles and was looking very buoyant and happy.”

Andrew told aides he was “happy” with his performance despite being grilled by Maitlis on his relationship with Epstein, a convicted sex offender who killed himself in jail earlier this year while facing child sex trafficking charges.

Behind the scenes palace sources have described the duke's performance as “utterly jaw dropping” with one insider suggesting aides were left “dumbfounded” after watching the Newsnight interview on Saturday evening.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.