Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The National (Scotland)
The National (Scotland)
National
Laura Pollock

Primary school locked down after reports of 'man with sword'

A PRIMARY school in Aberdeenshire was locked down on Monday following reports of a man with a sword.

Pupils at Gordon Primary School were told to stay indoors as emergency services attended at around 9.25am.

The man carrying the sword was traced by officers and found wearing fancy dress. The weapon was seized and identified as a plastic sword.

The incident was a false alarm with good intent, and the community is not believed to be in any danger.

Chief inspector Christopher Kerr said: “Around 9.25am on Monday, March 4, 2025, we received a report of a man in fancy dress carrying a small sword in Duke Street, Huntly.

“Enquiries were carried out and the man was traced.

“Officers seized the sword, which was plastic.

“This was a false alarm with good intent and there was no threat to the local community.”

Aberdeenshire council commented that the wellbeing of pupils was top priority amid the reports.

A spokesperson said: “We were made aware that a man had been seen in the nearby area in fancy dress with a what appeared to be a sword.

“The safety and wellbeing of pupils is our top priority and Gordon Primary School kept pupils inside across break time.

“Shortly after, Police Scotland confirmed the man had a small plastic sword and was not regarded as a threat.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.