Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Wales Online
Wales Online
National
Ryan O'Neill

Primary school class in Newport has to self-isolate after positive coronavirus case

One class in a Newport primary school has been asked to self-isolate for 14 days after a pupil in the school tested positive for coronavirus.

The class group 4NH in year four of St Andrew's Primary School have been asked to self-isolate after the school was notified of a confirmed case in that group.

In a letter sent to parents and seen by WalesOnline, the school said it had been notified of the case on Thursday.

It said all close contacts of the case had been notified and had received appropriate advice.

It added that parents of children outside of that class group did not need to do anything further unless instructed otherwise.

"There is no need for your child or your family to do anything further at this moment in time. Please continue to send your child to school as usual," the letter read.

A spokesperson for Newport Council confirmed that one class group in the school had been asked to self-isolate as a result of the positive case.

A number of schools in Newport and across Wales have recorded cases of the virus since the start of the school term in September. Last week, it was reported that there had been over 2,000 cases in Welsh schools so far this term.

Newport recorded 20 new cases of the virus on Friday.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.