Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Football London
Football London
Sport
Archie Griggs

Premier League football set to continue despite possible second national lockdown

Premier League chief executive Richard Masters has said that football in England's top flight will continue to be played even in the event of another national lockdown.

It was revealed on Friday evening that the government is considering implementing a month-long period of lockdown for the whole of England, with new measures set to be announced on Monday.

Earlier this month, Masters was adamant that fans will not be forced to go without the Premier League this season, as discussions with the government had not even covered the idea of another suspension.

He also said the successful implementation of 'Project Restart' shows they have a 'proven model' that works.

Boris Johnson ‘considering national lockdown next week’ in England

“We’re in constant dialogue with government about all aspects of the co-operation we have with them,” Masters said in a press conference, as reported by The Independent.

“We don’t feel the closed doors model is at risk at the moment.

“We think we’ve got a proven model that worked in Project Restart, and at the moment we’re happy, and so are government, that we can continue.”

Masters also revealed that while the Premier League does plan for a range of different scenarios, suspending the season is not currently being considered.

“No, as I said, not that we don’t scenario plan and talk about various different outcomes - you have to in the current environment - there’s no talk about the Premier League or sport being suspended at the moment," he continued.

Last season's competition was halted upon the initial lockdown announcement in March, with supporters made to wait 100 days before the season resumed in June.

All matches since then have been played behind closed doors.

Fans are able to watch non-televised games on a pay-per-view basis, a scheme that has come under fire since its implementation due to the £14.95 charge.

Masters defended the Premier League's involvement in the pricing of these fixtures, placing responsibility at the feet of broadcasters.

“Broadcasters set prices, we are obviously aware of the commercial model that was put in place and we had substantive conversations with BT and Sky about that. We can’t set prices," he said.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.