
What was a community-driven event to allow people during the peak of the coronavirus last year to honour the nation's fallen heroes may soon become the latest Anzac tradition.
The Light Up the Dawn initiative, allowing people to commemorate veterans with a traditional dawn service at their local cenotaphs or from home, is set for a major return this year.
Gungahlin RSL Sub Branch president and Air Force flight lieutenant Shaun McGill will be one of many hosting a service at his front lawn after a "small but moving ceremony on my front lawn" in 2020.
Mr McGill said he decided to host it again to "recapture the small, intimate service last year".
"In some ways, it was a lot more powerful and more poignant than some of the larger services that we've had over the years," he said.
"It's the least we can do to represent those who have gone before us and to pay respect to them."

Mr McGill, who is also a member of the Ministerial Advisory Council for Veterans and their Families and have been serving for 30 years, said the traditional dawn service and the more personal one at home could co-exist in the years to come.
He said his neighbours attended his service and he received "such great feedback from last years' service that it was no questions that it should be done again".
"It was very moving for everybody and we were all maintaining our distances," Mr McGill said.
MORE NEWS
- 'Winter is coming': Doctors warn of dangerous flu season
-
Where to play two-up in Canberra
- The $334m impact of ANU's 'hardest year in history'
"The national dawn service will be in the background and we'll follow protocols to honour our veterans. It's also about supporting their families, too."
Mr McGill, who is also a volunteer firefighter with Gungahlin RFS, has been in various positions throughout his career and is currently working within the Air Force's directorate of personnel policy.
Asked about highlights during his defence career, Mr McGill said while it was "hard to narrow down to any one thing, it's really the people I've worked alongside".
"There are some amazing people who are working in our organisation. Same goes to my family. They're much a part of the defence as I am. We go through ebbs and flows together," he said.
While individuals prepare to host smaller services, authorities have finalised COVID-safe plans at this year's Anzac Day commemorations as more than 7000 people are expected to attend the Australian War Memorial.

Staff and security will monitor social distancing and the dawn service is a standing ceremony while the national ceremony is seated.
Capacities for both ceremonies have been calculated to achieve maximum safe attendance based on the current 1:2 square metre requirement with safe visitor and staff movement.
ACT Police will also be conducting operations, including double demerit points from midnight Friday until midnight April 26.
Light Up the Dawn was an idea that started within the national community before the RSL promoted the idea across the country during COVID lockdown last year.
People wishing to participate in their own Light Up The Dawn services can do so by visiting actrsl.org.au.