Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Sport

La Liga considers legal action over new Clasico date

FILE PHOTO: Barcelona's supporters celebrate their victory against Real Madrid in their Spanish League soccer match at Las Ramblas in Barcelona April 11, 2010. REUTERS/Albert Gea/File Photo

MADRID (Reuters) - Spain's La Liga is considering legal action after the first league Clasico of the season between Barcelona and Real Madrid was rescheduled for Dec. 18 by the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) on Wednesday.

The game was due to be played at Barca’s Camp Nou stadium on Saturday, but was postponed following a request from La Liga due to extraordinary circumstances.

There has been unrest throughout Catalonia following the decision by Spain’s High Court last week to jail nine Catalan separatist leaders for their role in an illegal referendum.

FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - UEFA Super Cup - Real Madrid v Atletico Madrid - Tallinn, Estonia - August 15, 2018. A man holds Real Madrid flag as he poses for a picture next to the Super Cup trophy at the fan zone. REUTERS/Ints Kalnins

Protesters have taken to the streets throughout the region and there have been numerous clashes with riot police.

“The Competition Committee has taken the decision after analysing the dates proposed by both clubs, who were asked to reach an agreement and they both suggested that 18 December would be the best date to play the postponed game,” an RFEF statement said.

La Liga, however, is unhappy about the new date and could take legal action following the decision of the RFEF with which it has an uneasy relationship.

The match was originally scheduled for 12:00 CET (13:00 local) on Saturday, catering for a global audience, and has now been moved to a Wednesday evening.

"La Liga doesn't agree with the Competition Committee's decision to stipulate Dec. 18 - after an agreement was reached between Barcelona and Real Madrid, despite La Liga's objections - as the date in which the postponed Clasico should be played," La Liga said in a statement.

"We are studying the documentation that we have recently received regarding the process in which the decision was taken. This is in order to evaluate taking possible legal action and against whom it should be tabled, before the relevant and opportune public organisations or legal organisms." 

(Reporting by Joseph Cassinelli, editing by Ed Osmond)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.