Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
AAP
AAP
National
Alex Mitchell and Farid Farid

Protest curbs eased as watchdog asks public for footage

Unprecedented restrictions on protests have been removed but laws to enforce them again remain. (Flavio Brancaleone/AAP PHOTOS)

Extraordinary measures to curb protests imposed in the wake of the Bondi terror attack have been lifted as the public is asked to help an investigation into alleged police misconduct.

More than two months after the attack, NSW Police Commissioner Mal Lanyon on Tuesday said he no longer needed the powers of the public assembly restriction declaration in some areas of Sydney.

The decision comes a week after police violently broke up protests against the Australian visit of Israeli President Isaac Herzog, which included demonstrators being punched and pepper-sprayed by authorities.

The state's police watchdog is investigating after receiving a significant number of complaints alleging misconduct.

Protest restrictions removed
The restrictions were enforced during a visit to Australia by Israel President Isaac Herzog. (Flavio Brancaleone/AAP PHOTOS)

On Tuesday, the Law Enforcement Conduct Commission urged members of the public to upload any footage or photo evidence to aid its probe.

The investigation was launched after significant pressure from politicians and community leaders and widespread outrage over a group of Muslim worshippers forcibly dispersed by police while praying.

The visit of the Israeli president had driven the protest restrictions, Mr Lanyon said, as he urged the community to be calm.

"We had the visit of a head of state; I had significant concerns about the safety of the community in managing the visit of a head of state (and) the movement of Jewish Australians who were there," he said.

"I'm satisfied the conditions that led to the extension last time do not exist now, and I'm more than happy for (police) to work with protesters."

Protest restrictions removed
The visit by Israel's president saw violent clashes between demonstrators and police. (Flavio Brancaleone/AAP PHOTOS)

Under the new laws, the restrictions related to a particular terrorist attack cannot be reinstated once lifted.

Organisers of the February 9 rally are pressing on with a constitutional challenge in the NSW Court of Appeal to stop the laws from being used after a future terrorist attack.

"The police commissioner was explicit that these undemocratic powers were all about 'protecting' Herzog from 'significant animosity' and mass protest," the Palestine Action Group said.

"Protesters who had nowhere to go were pepper-sprayed, assaulted, injured and arrested by an out-of-control police force who thought they could act with impunity."

The laws were rushed through NSW parliament after the deadly December 14 Bondi shooting and gave the commissioner the ability to limit protests after a declared terrorist incident.

Protest restrictions removed
The restrictions came in the wake of the mass shooting at Bondi Beach in December. (Dean Lewins/AAP PHOTOS)

Mr Lanyon deployed his powers almost immediately, restricting protests across Sydney for two weeks from Christmas Eve.

The restrictions were later relaxed to cover areas that included most of the city centre and large parts of the eastern suburbs, including Bondi.

Mr Lanyon argued the first use of the laws had been a success.

He said no officers have been stood down due to alleged police brutality during the February 9 rally.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.