Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Health

Portugal's postponed WRC round now cancelled

FILE PHOTO: Mikko Hirvonen of Finland competes in a Ford Focus RS during the third stage of the Portugal Rally WRC in Algarve May 30, 2010. REUTERS/Jose Manuel Rbeiro

The postponed Portuguese round of the world rally championship has now been cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic, organisers said on Thursday.

Portugal would have been the fifth rally of the year on May 21-24.

The Automobile Club of Portugal (ACP) said in a statement it had tried to reschedule the event for the end of October without success.

"All health and safety conditions needed to run the... Rally de Portugal in a safe way are not achievable given the unpredictable situation that we live in these days, and also the uncertainty of opening the national borders or airspace," it added.

The ACP said the rally had an economic impact nationally of more than 142 million euros (123.44 million pounds) last year.

(Reporting by Alan Baldwin, editing by Toby Davis)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.