Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
National
Adam Forrest, Jon Sharman

Port Talbot train crash: Two Network Rail workers dead after being hit by train in Wales

The scene at track section near Port Talbot after two railway workers died ( PA )

Two railway workers who died when they were struck by a passenger train in south Wales were wearing ear defenders and could not hear it approaching, British Transport Police said.

A 58-year-old man from North Connelly and a 64-year-old man from Kenfig Hill were struck by the train on the tracks near Port Talbot shortly before 10am on Wednesday.

Superintendent Andy Morgan of British Transport Police said: “A third person was treated for shock but was thankfully uninjured. Our thoughts are with their families as they come to terms with this tragic news.”

Mr Morgan added: “Following a number of urgent enquiries into this tragic incident, it has been established that the three people were railway workers who were working on the lines at the time.

“The initial stages of the investigation suggest that the two men who died had been wearing ear defenders at the time, tragically, could not hear the passenger train approaching.”

Paramedics from the Welsh Ambulance Service were called out following the collision, but the two men were pronounced dead at the scene.

Union bosses called for a full investigation into the deaths, which involved the 9.29am service from Swansea to London Paddington, a 10-carriage GWR Intercity Express Train, and one of 93 in the fleet.

Manuel Cortes, Transport Salaried Staffs’ Association (TSSA) general secretary, said: “It’s too early to speculate about what has happened here but clearly something has gone badly wrong.

“There must now be a full investigation because it is simply not acceptable that in the 21st century people go out to work and end up losing their lives.”

Chris Grayling, the transport secretary, promised there would be an investigation into how the fatal crash happened.

Investigators in Port Talbot, south Wales, after a train crash (ITV News)

Mr Morgan said British Transport Police officers were working with the Rail Accident Investigation Branch to understand what happened.

“The two men’s families have been both informed and we will be providing them with as much help and support as possible through this undoubtedly difficult and distressing time,” he said.

“Likewise, we will make sure those who witnessed this traumatic incident, both at the scene and on board the striking train, receive the necessary support they require.”

Network Rail was unable to confirm definitely whether or not works were being carried out on the track at the time of the deaths. Network Rail Wales route director Bill Kelly said the railway network owner was “shocked and distressed” by the “dreadful accident”, and added that it was “fully cooperating” with investigators.

Additional reporting by agencies

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.