Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Asharq Al-Awsat
Asharq Al-Awsat
World
Asharq Al-Awsat

Pompeo Expects Mideast Peace Plan to be Unveiled in Coming Weeks

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo waves the crowd before speaking at the 101st National Convention of The American Legion in Indianapolis, Tuesday, Aug. 27, 2019. (AP Photo/Michael Conroy)

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Friday that he thinks the Trump administration will unveil its much-delayed Israeli-Palestinian peace plan in the coming weeks.

"I think in the coming weeks we'll announce our vision," Pompeo said in response to a question after a speech at Kansas State University in Manhattan, Kansas.

Last week, the outgoing White House Middle East envoy Jason Greenblatt said the United States will not release the long-delayed political portion of its peace plan before Israel's Sept. 17 elections.

An administration official said Thursday that Greenblatt will depart the administration in the coming weeks once the so-called "Deal of the Century" is released.

Trump has said he will release the plan some time after Israel holds the elections that will decide the fate of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, a close Trump ally.

Whether Trump releases the plan immediately after the election or he waits until a governing coalition is formed, a process that could take weeks, remains unclear.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.