Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Record
Daily Record
National
Sarah Hilley & Abi Smillie

Police probe abandoned home blaze weeks after snack van row

A home left by the side of a main road for about seven weeks has been completely destroyed by fire.

Flames ripped through the large caravan on Saturday night on the A70 lay-by near Dobbies garden centre.

Police are now investigating the cause of the blaze.

Businessman Walter Mcindoe who owns land on the lay-by said: “It is not my caravan. I have talked to the gentleman who owns it for a number of weeks telling him it needs to be moved.

“It has been vandalised.”

Large boulders have barricaded off each entrance of the lay-by for days.

Mr Mcindoe said he had to block it off to stop fly tipping and the land no longer operates as a ‘lay-by.’

The Ayrshire Post previously told of a snack van row when Mr Mcindoe revealed plans to open a catering van on the lay-by yards from an existing one run by John (Jock) McCubbin.

Grandad-of-10, Jock, from Drongan,  had been running a snack van from the site for 22 years.

Jock, 72, said: “The caravan went on fire and it’s a pure eyesore.

“I was in my bed and got told about it the next day.

“I can’t get out to work- I haven’t been out the last two days.

“I got all my stuff ready yesterday [Monday]  morning- my links, my sausages and burgers- and I went to go down and my friend phoned me up and told me the lay-by was shut, so that was all that food getting wasted.

“I’m just going to go and look for another place today [Tuesday] and see if I can get somewhere else just now.

“I keep waking up at night thinking ‘Where can I go? What can I do?’

“I can do without all this hassle.”

South Ayrshire Councillor Derek McCabe called for the burnt out caravan to be moved as soon as possible.

He said: “It is on a private road so the council have little lever to deal with it. It is an eyesore. We have to look at it daily and we need to consider the local environment. It was sitting there like the Titanic.”

Before the fire the lopsided caravan appeared in good condition with curtains draped on the windows.

Home before the fire on the A70 lay-by (Ayrshire Post)

A police spokesman said: “Police Scotland can confirm that they received a report of a caravan on fire on the A70 near to Dobbies around 9.20pm hours on Saturday, March 7 2020. Enquires are ongoing at this time to identify the owner of the caravan and the cause of the fire.”

Anyone with information is asked to contact 101 quoting incident number 3707 of the 07/03/2020.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.