Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Belfast Live
Belfast Live
National
Shaun Keenan

Police launch murder investigation after Ballymena 'stabbing'

A murder investigation has been launched following the death of a 67-year-old.

The male's body was discovered in the Galgorm Road area of Ballymena on Saturday, March 21.

Police say a 51-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder.

A PSNI spokesperson said: "Shortly after 3:30pm this afternoon police received a report that a man had been stabbed in a property on the Galgorm Road.

"Police responded but despite the efforts of emergency services the 67 year man was pronounced dead at the scene.

"A 36-year old man was also taken to hospital for treatment for injuries that are not believed to be life threatening.

"A 51 year old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder and remains in custody."

It is understood that the Nothern Ireland Ambulance Service dispatched three emergency crews and two Doctors to the scene.

Local SDLP councillor, Eugene Reid said the entire community was in "shock".

He told Belfast Live: "It is very sad situation tonight and my thoughts are with the family and friends of the victim.

"I know that the community would totally condemn these sort of actions and will be in shock tonight.

"We are not used to these sort of incidents happening in Ballymena."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.