
Police have kept a man accused of murdering his girlfriend and dismembering her body in their custody for another day before taking him to court, to allow further interrogation before he enters the judicial system.
Thanakrit Prakob, 36, has been in custody at Min Buri police station since he was apprehended on Sunday.
Police had intended to take him to the Min Buri Provincial Court on Monday and apply to detain him for another 12 days to allow further investigation.
Pol Col Charnvit Poompho, the deputy chief of the Metropolitan Police Division 5, said on Monday the suspect would instead be kept in another night for additional questioning, and more witnesses would be called in to provide information. Mr Thanakrit would be taken to the court on Tuesday, he added.
Police have charged him with the premeditated murder of Laksana Kamlangkeng, 24, and concealing and dissecting her body in his apartment room in Min Buri district on June 12 after she decided to return to her former husband.
Her dismembered body was placed in bags and sacks and dumped in bushes in Khlong Sam Wa district. The bags were found on Friday.
According to police interrogators, the suspect said he had not fled because he was confident nobody would be able to identity of the body after it had been cut into several pieces.
He had posted several messages on his Facebook account suggesting he had been in contact with Laksana after she was actually dead.
Mr Thanakrit is from Satun. His parents were dead, Pol Col Charnvit said, and relatives said they did not want to be involved when they were contacted by police.