Get all your news in one place
100’s of premium titles. One news app. Zero ads. Just $10 per month.
Liverpool Echo

Police issue update on suspect after car crashes through ferry barriers

A man has been released from police custody pending further enquiries after a suspected stolen car crashed through barriers at Birkenhead Ferry Terminal.

Shortly after 8am on Wednesday, May 4, a police officer attempted to check a suspected stolen car that was boarding a ferry. As the officer approached, the black Kia Sorrento drove off in the direction of Tower Road.

The car crashed through a set of barriers and collided with three other cars in the process, leaving them damaged. The car was then abandoned on Rapport Road.

READ MORE: Ava White murder trial updates as jury set to be sworn in

Shortly afterwards, police received reports that the driver of the car was running through Central Park, in the direction of Park Primary School in Wallasey. A large police presence was reported throughout the area and at the school for the remainder of the morning.

According to police, officers from the Dogs Section managed to find a man nearby. The 27-year-old, from the Harlow area, was arrested on suspicion of aggravated theft of a motor vehicle and resisting arrest.

A quantity of cash was found inside the car when it was searched by police.

In a statement at the time, a spokesperson for Merseyside Police said: "We have arrested a man following an incident at Birkenhead Ferry terminal on Tower Road this morning, Wednesday 4 May. At around 8.10am an officer checked a black Kia Sorrento car waiting to board a ferry.

"The vehicle drove off from the scene in the direction of Tower Road, crashing through barriers and damaging three other cars. The car was then abandoned at the junction of Rapport Road.

"Officers were alerted by members of the public that an occupant of the vehicle was making off through Central Park toward Park Primary School. With the assistance of the Dogs Section, a 27-year-old man from the Harlow area was detained and arrested on suspicion of aggravated theft of a motor vehicle and resisting arrest.

"He was taken into custody and will be questioned by police. Police searched the Kia and a quantity of cash was located."

Anyone who witnessed the incident or with any information is asked to contact MerpolCC on Twitter or Merseyside Police Contact Centre on Facebook quoting reference 22000304034. Alternatively you can leave information anonymously with Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

You can also use their online form anonymously: