Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Liverpool Echo
Liverpool Echo
National
Luke Traynor

Police intelligence analyst charged in anti-corruption probe linked to Encrochat

A police intelligence analyst is being probed for anti-corruption relating to the penetrated secret criminal Encrochat network.

Natalie Mottram, a Cheshire Police employee, was on secondment at the North West Regional Organised Crime Unit (ROCU) when the investigation began in June, last year.

It is alleged the Warrington 22-year-old, with others, disclosed information that law enforcement could access encrypted EncroChat data as the European-wide Operation Venetic was underway.

Mottram has now been charged with four counts of unauthorised access to computer material and one count of perverting the course of justice.

She has been suspended from work.

Mottram, of Vermont Close, Great Sankey, was arrested by National Crime Agency officers as part of an Independent Office for Police Conduct directed investigation.

The National Crime Agency has taken part in this probe (PA)

Mottram will appear at Warrington Magistrates’ Court on June 8 with couple Jonathan Kay and Leah Bennett, both 36, and both of Newark Drive, Great Sankey, Warrington.

Kay has been charged with perverting the course of justice and two counts of failing to comply with a notice under the Section 49 Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000.

Bennett has been charged with perverting the course of justice.

A charge has been authorised against a fourth suspect, but has not been served yet.

Operation Venetic, led by the NCA, uncovered alleged "insider threat" offending from a range of people working in positions of responsibility.

Nikki Holland, NCA Director of Investigations, said: “Working with our partners, we acted swiftly to investigate and conduct these arrests.

“UK law enforcement takes corruption allegations extremely seriously to catch anyone who betrays the trust placed in them.”

Assistant Chief Constable Chris Green, head of the North West ROCU, said: “We have worked closely throughout this investigation with the Independent Office for Police Conduct and the National Crime Agency, Cheshire Police and the Crown Prosecution Service.

“As a result of the investigation, carried out by the NCA under the direction and control of the IOPC, a member of police staff and two members of the public have been charged and we await the outcome of the legal process.”

Cheshire Constabulary Deputy Chief Constable Julie Cooke said: “Throughout this investigation we have worked closely with the National Crime Agency, NWROCU and the IOPC and acknowledge the decision that has been reached by the Crown Prosecution Service.”

Upon completion of the investigation – the IOPC decided in October 2020 to refer a file of evidence to the Crown Prosecution Service, which authorised the charges.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.