Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Manchester Evening News
Manchester Evening News
National
Ashlie Blakey

Police find body in search for missing John Houghton

A body has been found in the search for missing 55-year-old John Houghton.

Specialist police officers were called to reports of the body of a man being found in a wooded area at around 11am yesterday (Monday).

The man, whose body was discovered just off Victoria Avenue in Blackley, has since been identified as John Houghton, police said.

Mr Houghton went missing from his home address at The Quadrant on September 12.

READ MORE: Woman, 38, dies after being hit by G-Wagon car in Manchester

There are not believed to any suspicious circumstances surrounding his death and his next of kin has been confirmed, police said.

A file will be passed to the coroner.

Police issued a number of public appeals to try and help find Mr Houghton.

His nephew Ryan Houghton, from Oldham, told the M.E.N last month the disappearance came as a shock to the entire family.

He said he has 'nephews, grandkids, brothers and sisters'.

In a statement, a GMP spokesperson said: "Police were called around 11.05am on Monday 25 October to Victoria Avenue East, Manchester to a report of the discovery of the body of a man.

"Emergency services attended and he was sadly pronounced dead at the scene.

"Following enquiries it has now been confirmed to be missing 55-year-old John Houghton.

"His next of kin have been informed.

"There are not believed to be any suspicious circumstances surrounding his death and a file will be passed to the coroner."

Sign up to the MEN email newsletters to get the latest on sport, news, what's on and more by following this link

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.