Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
National
Tom Barnes

Police 'exchange fire' with armed man in Oxford

Police have exchanged gunfire with an armed man during a stand-off at a home in Oxford.

Officers have cordoned off an area around the property, in Paradise Square, in the centre of the city.

Thames Valley Police said an armed response unit was sent to the scene at around 1.15pm on Monday after the force received reports of a man in possession of a gun.

"People in Oxford will notice an increased police presence in the area while officers are dealing with the incident, which is contained and taking place at a residential property," said Superintendent Joe Kidman, Oxford local policing area commander.

Police said they are attempting to negotiate with the gunman (INS)

"If you have any concerns or wish to raise anything please approach and speak to an officer or call the non-emergency number 101."

South Central Ambulance Service said paramedics were assisting police and had treated one person for non life-threatening injuries.

Officers are understood to be in the process of negotiating with the man as they attempt to resolve the situation.

One woman, who asked not to be named, said she heard loud bangs, shouting and dogs barking as the incident had got underway.

"After a second round it became apparent these were gunshots so I rushed inside," she said.

"There was a couple more shots, three spurts in total, still a lot of shouting and barking. I heard a man shout 'show me your hands' repeatedly.

"The shouting continued and only quieted down an hour later or so, between now and then there have been bursts of shouting, barks and helicopters.

"I've heard no more shots since though. The entire area outside my flat is sealed off, and there is a police officer with a dog stationed a few metres from the balcony."

Police said Norfolk Road had been closed while the incident was being dealt with and members of the public were advised to avoid the immediate area.

The nearby Westgate shopping centre is not within the cordon and remains open as normal.

The incident is not being treated as terrorism.

More follows.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.